Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Mirror Redo: More Paint Removal!

Yes, here is yet another lovely item I snatched up for a steal, only to turn around and cover it with black spray paint. This time a beautiful silver leaf mirror found at a Crate & Barrel floor model sale. Apparently I was taking to heart the advice I'd heard that every room needs a black accent.


So while that period was my "cover every great find with black spray paint phase", apparently I'm now in the "remove all spray paint with Smart Strip phase". Which begs the question...what phase will be next?


The test spot. Leaving on the paint remover for a few minutes exposed the silver leaf beautifully.


So I slathered the stuff over the rest of the frame.


The challenge here was to let the Smart Strip sit long enough to remove the layer of spray paint...


...but not so long as to begin eating away at the silver leaf.


I mostly succeeded. Because of this limitation it was hard to get all the black paint removed, but I quickly realized a little remaining black would assist in achieving the final result I was after.


Next I pulled out a tube of another favorite product of mine, Rub 'n Buff.



Just enough, not too much, leaving traces of the silver and black showing through.


I wanted a touch of gold as the fixtures in the powder bath are oil rubbed bronze, and these two finishes look great together.


The gold also will look fabulous against the new wall color...which is a work in progress. I have some plans!


For some reason the frame reads and photographs with a much deeper gold tone in the powder room.



But look at how great it looks next to the botanical print frames! Another item rescued from the actions of a previous paint job. Next?

No comments:

Post a Comment