Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Saying goodbye to our little fella


Our little munchkin didn't make it. 

We had to say goodbye on Tuesday.

He truly was such a gentle soul and showed me love and loyalty like no other.


How we found him

We spotted Beethoven at the pound18.5 years ago. He was the tiniest little round fluff ball you ever laid eyes on. I fell in love with him on the spot!

However we had to wait for the official adoption date and hope for the best. We sat on pins and needles for nearly a week.

And then it was the day. However, a major snowstorm hit. It was nearly impossible driving conditions, but we set out anyway. We wanted our kitten!

We got there a little late and hoped for the best. And all was well. Our baby was still there!

As we walked out with him, a girl spotted us walking in, and burst into tears. The snow delayed her arrival by minutes behind us. She had planned to pick up the same cat. My heart went out to her because I know exactly how that felt.

Every day I felt blessed to have landed our gorgeous cat. He was the quiet type that never meowed, hissed, fought, nothing. He was my gentle giant. And he touched my heart in more ways than I can count.

There was a bond between us that was unspeakable. We read each other like clockwork and loved each other fiercely.

 

The quirks

When I use to get ready to go to work, I'd always chant, "Mommy go to work!" and he'd give me one meow as if to say goodbye. Like clockwork. He wouldn't meow any other time. :)

He use to be antsy for his food in the AM, so in the mornings, he'd jump onto the dresser and paw at the blinds so the clanking would wake me up. That got old pretty quick.

I use to have to lock the cats together downstairs because if they climbed in bed with me, Beethoven would purr too loud and smother my face. But lately he took to howling in the dark (he was deaf and was looking for the other cat) which woke me up. So only a few months ago I cut him some slack and allowed them to sleep upstairs.

Every night I'd go to bed, and it wouldn't be long until I heard the soft thud thud thud walking down the hallway, then the stall, then the thump on the bed. He'd nudge himself under the covers, turn around then snuggle up right against me and stay perfectly still the entire night. He truly became my cat pillow. And I looked forward to it with anticipation every evening.

It's only been two nights since I lost my cat pillow. When he fell ill, it was critical he was on the floor for safety's sake. He is so very very missed.

The bond

The incredible bond we had was so strong. They say when you have kids, the pet thing wanes somewhat. It never did between us. I was his protector and he was my companion in return. He truly was a cat like no other. The most amazing softest fur, beautiful purr and gentle quiet nature had me falling in love with him harder each day.

It gives me great sorrow to lose him. But it's my hope that my parents will look after him until I can meet up with everyone one day again.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Below is a celebration of Beethoven's life with us.

( Click both plays below at the same time. )










Thank-you for all the support and prayers you've given me the past few days. You have no idea how much that has touched me.

Comment #59 tells you how I came up with his name. Thanks anon. :)


See you in Heaven, Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment