Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Going Bold With Color

My daughter is fearless when it comes to using color, whether it be in a project she is working on or the way she puts together an outfit. When enjoying an afternoon of shopping with Isabella (too much fun, I hope she never tires of being my personal stylist!) to pick out a few items for Spring and Summer, she pushed me to embrace color.


In classic navy, this fabulous long skirt can also be worn as a dress...how versatile is that? When looking for a sweater to go with the above and I was thinking...Navy!


Not Isabella. She looked at the navy sweater I had picked up and shook her head. "I'm thinking something more like this", picking up the same cropped sweater in chartreuse.

Really? I tried it on and what do you know, she was right.

 

Next, how about a new pair of sandals for the season. Again, I was pushing for a classic navy or black. "No. I like these, cork heels and bright color!" 

Well what do you know, she was right there as well...and then I actually did think about Jennifer Rosson's quote in her article for House of Fifty, which sealed the choice! {page 56}



With navy being the largest element, it works to have the pops of color seen in the little sweater and cork heeled sandals. 

Deciding to embrace color, I wished I had paid more attention to my color theory classes in art school. If I had I could now share all the particulars about how to pair color with fabulous results. Instead, if you want a run down of the basic concepts and colors that add up to harmonious palettes, click here for a really good quick overview.


And what about you? Do you have a favorite item you're looking forward to wearing this season, and does it include color?

No comments:

Post a Comment