Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Wedding Gift Idea

Before attending the wedding in Chicago recently, I asked the mother of the bride where the couple was registered. She rattled off the list and then said, "But don't be afraid to go off the list." Interpretation: "I certainly think you can get a little more creative than selecting a gift from the registry."


And what came to mind? Customizing a tray. So despite my saying in yesterday's post that I need a break from projects having to do with sanding and painting, here I am launching into a new painting project. Etiquette says that you have up to a year following the wedding to give a gift, but I know if I wait too long time will slip away and the year will be gone!


The tray I'll be making for the couple will be similar to the one above, though in their favorite shades of gray.


With a little imagination and a simple wooden tray, the design options are limitless. Here painters tape and spray paint were used to create a tray with a strong graphic element, in boldly contrasting colors. Other ideas to customize this gift idea would be to stencil the couple's initials on the tray or get inspiration from a design element on the wedding invitation.


The first step was to buy a nicely constructed wooden tray. I've used this same Pottery Barn tray for similar projects in the past, with great results, so returned to get another.


Next came the hard part, putting my sander up to a perfectly fine tray! Be careful not to remove too much of the finish, a little bit will do. Sand the surface just enough to remove the top coat of varnish and some of the stain.


Next, moving out the garage, I came in to continue the project at the kitchen island and turned on the latest episode of 9 by Design...which was waiting on TiVo. Talk about inspiration to be creative!


With the crazy energy of the Novogratz family in the background, primer was painted across the surface of the tray with a brush. Yes, you could use spray primer, but I like the subtle lines that are left behind when applying primer with a brush. It takes a bit of careful brushing to get the lines to run across the surface in somewhat straight lines, but they will add a lot to the final look. Trust me...or just use spray, either way works!


While I continue working on this gift, I'll show the progress tomorrow, look at what my husband gave the groom.


A USA Soccer Team Jersey. I thought the idea was slightly strange when he first mentioned this plan to me. But I was wrong, the groom said it was the best gift he had gotten. Looking back at our wedding, I bet this would have been my husband's favorite wedding gift to receive as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment