Monday, May 17, 2010

The estate sale with the right stuff


We've had a VERY busy weekend. My family as well as the help of good friends held my mom's estate sale this past weekend. If you're new here, you can read all the recent happenings on this topic HERE.


Many hands were involved to make this event a success. But I'm happy to say, I do believe it to be a success. It was a long difficult haul emotionally and physically to get to this point, however such is life. It's a step most of us will no doubt experience at some time or another. And it did bond our family closer, which was a wonderful bonus.
 
I get asked alot how the process worked out. I suppose the method used needs to be for every family to assess what works best for them. And I'm happy to report, our method appeared to work great for us. We didn't have the horror stories I've heard others having to deal with. No. I believe we were looked upon, watched and helped along the way. Thank goodness!

The division of assets began where, what we gave mom, was automatically ours. From there, we picked and chose what memory pieces we desired to have. And the rest went to the estate sale. And from there, the remainder went to a thrift in about 5 leftover boxes.


I'm so very glad the family was able to choose what items reminded them most of mom. I myself  chose pieces I could proudly display among my normal everyday decorating so not only did the look flow, but it had meaning and memories attached. This beautiful teapot was my mom's wedding gift.


I have beautiful reminders all over my place. And in a funny sort of way, although mom is no longer with us in human form, her spirit is indeed very prominent most everywhere you look. I grew up with this farm sign in my front yard. It's new home will be on my stairway wall. I can't wait!


And I believe I chose well. I ADORE everything I have scattered about. My mom's jewelry box, teapot and pillowcase all together really makes this dresser sing in the most precious of ways and in a place I can privately appreciate and reflect.


My choices were productive too! This is an ongoing storage project I'll be sharing soon.

As for the sale itself, what fun! My sis lives on a very busy intersection so it provided the perfect place to plunk three LONG rows of tables and create a storefront so to speak. There was so much stuff! And get this. Nothing was priced.

This was a first for me. With nothing priced, it forces you to 'haggle' with your visitors. But our method was not to bring in the ultimate dollar. This sale was about my mom's things helping others. Nothing pleased us more when a sweet lady about the age of my mom came up to us and showed us how lovely she looked in her 'new shoes' she found under a table. She truly did looked beautiful and asked "How much?" My big hearted sis simply announced, "Nothing. Enjoy your shoes!" while I watched on with the biggest smile on my face.

Another story was about my mom's big Wearever cooking pot. This thing was big, thick, as old as the hills and weighed a ton, but unfortunately, it had a loose handle I felt wasn't repairable.  When a man approached me wanting to talk about all things cooking pots, I pointed out what this mammoth meant to me for it was the family popcorn making pot while I was growing up. Remember oil and kernals on the stovetop? After I shared my story, he grabbed the pot, looked at the handle, commented his story matched mine identically as his own mom had this very pot using it for the same thing. He vowed to fix it and put it back into service.

This was indeed a special sale.

My mom lived her life loving others and putting them before herself. And I believe this sale felt alot like the continuation of her unique spirit.

And the last day was the BEST. At around 2pm, we announced everything on the tables was FREE. Boxes were ready to give out. The tables hummed with excited activity as each box was quickly filled to the brim. Smiling kids, ecstatic adults, everyone could be a part of my mom this round, no matter what your financial status was.

Indeed, it was just stuff. But I'm glad we could help make others happy with it.


Now we move on to unknown territory. This new chapter is all about memories and taking the time to appreciate and understand what all just went on. No doubt the gentle reminders of my mom decorating my own home as well as my siblings' will help bring this better understanding full circle. One day at a time.

I'm sharing this story on Funky Junk because it related to decorating. For non related topics, feel free to visit my off topic blog, Just Another Wonderful Day.

Now, go call your mom! I'm sure she'd like to hear from you today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment