Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Creating A Distressed Finish On Furniture - Final Result!

The top surface of the cabinet was stained a beautiful walnut...then began the sanding, priming, base coating, top coating, scraping and highlighting steps on the base and drawers of the cabinet. And now, the refinishing of this cabinet is done!


Since the last post on this project, I did decide to add one more step. Of course. Perhaps if I hadn't been forced to stop, to take photos while the sun was shining, I might still be adding layers! In this last step an even lighter paint color was dry brushed over the raised surfaces, to add a few additional highlights.


The aged brown hardware works very well with the walnut stain used on the top.


The wide pull out will be a convenient surface to place a computer.


And what is my husband most excited about? All the storage this piece offers, across the front as well as two additional large bins on the sides. Stuff is going to get lost in there. (And who will be asked where the missing items are?!)


I wish the photos from further back showed more of the distressed finish...but I guess that is what the close up images are for.


These last photos caught my eye. They show me that my husband's latest request, to bring more lighting into the room, has merit. The room is quite dark compared to the sunny areas outside its door.


So that is what remains to be worked on in this room. Lighting and then the chair, that will be pulled up to the cabinet, needs to be sanded and restained. I'll start with the lighting. I need a little break from refinishing, at least for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment