Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Tween Room Continued~

A few weeks ago, I talked about my plans for Mr. One's Tween bedroom. You may remember that I shared my tentative layout with you (below) and talked about the furniture we were planning on purchasing at IKEA.

Well, we got as far as purchasing the Expedit workstation and the Lillesand bed, and then due to unforseen circumstances, the budget ran out. So I put the project on hold for a while. And then I decided that it was silly to put it on hold just because I couldn't purchase everything I wanted...after all, do I or do I not preach the virtues of Frugal Decorating here on the old blog? "Well," says I, "maybe I should practice what I preach."

So today, I tackled putting together the bed. (And I did it all by myself because the hubby is currently suffering from a horrible bout of the flu...which I am fervently hoping skips by the rest of the family...poor hubby.)

WARNING: Lots of horrible indoor lighting photos coming your way...when I do the final reveal of this room, I promise to bring in our photography lights...maybe that will diminish the orang-y glow...

So here is the big ol' box it came in. And despite what Kate says in this post, I truly think this has to be the most boring photo ever posted on the internet.


And here is what I found inside the box....I love this headboard!! As I mentioned above, it's the Lillesand bed from IKEA. It's classic, but with clean contemporary lines. A perfect bed for my almost 10-year-old to grow up with...

The bed was really easy to assemble despite the fact that I was working by myself. Once I got everything out of the boxes, I was actually able to assemble the whole thing in about 15 minutes.


Then I had to talk Mr. One and the Princess into helping me drag the mattress and box spring into the room, and with a little help from Mr. One, I was able to get them in place. Here's the bed all dressed... again, with the horrible lighting, it's hard to tell in this photo, but the quilt and euros are a dark gray (from IKEA again) while the sheets are a soft goldenrod. I found a great set of pillowcases from Tar-jay in pale gray, dark gray and goldenrod as well. Love them!


But now, I'm not really lovin' the ticking drapes. They blend, and look okay...but that's all...just okay. I'm thinkin' I'm going to have to replace them...and I have an idea that involves the matching sheets to the striped pillowcases.


Finally, since my budget for this room is now GONE, I can't purchase the armoire I was hoping to get. Nor can I make the bedside tables. So I decided to rehab Mr. One's old white dresser and, if possible, to find a similar dresser at a thrift store or yard sale...then I could use them on either side of the bed as bedside tables...because I really like the look of having the little old dresser right where it is. I also really need to do something about that lamp...anyhoo...




Here's a closer view of the pillows, so you can get a bit of an idea what the stripes look like...drat that indoor lighting...



The room is really coming along...and Mr. One ADORES his new bed!


For this week's Frugal Friday, I'm going to share a fabulous piece of art I created for his room....I'm so excited!! And sometime next week, I'll share his workstation...and the injury I sustained while putting it together... ;-)


Have a great day~

No comments:

Post a Comment