Monday, May 24, 2010

The Tray Project Continued & Tips On Selecting Paint Colors

It was a cold and rainy weekend with more time spent indoors than I would have liked, given the fact it is Spring! But as a result I made real progress on the tray. While I worked on my project, talking with Isabella and Max, they worked at the island on their project. And what project was this? Making a house with about ten rooms and furnishing it, using paint chips! I need to take pictures to share, it is all crazily creative...but then I would be upstaged!


So instead, here are the updates on my project. In the previous post the tray had just been painted with a layer of primer. The next step was to apply a coat of SW 7044 Amazing Gray.


As with the primer, the paint was applied with a brush to create a subtle texture of lines running across the surface of the tray.


As it dried I mixed a little metallic paint into the Amazing Gray paint, later brushing a coat of this color onto the tray.


This step added a subtle sheen and color variation to the finish.


Next, taking a sheet of graph paper with the decorative pattern drawn on it, the placement of the pattern was decided and then transferred onto the tray by simply tracing over the lines of the design.


A sheet of transfer paper would have made this task very easy. But, as I didn't have any on hand, I just lightly traced the lines of the pattern on the opposite side of the graph paper with a pencil. Afterwards, the paper was turned over, taped in place and the lines were traced, transferring the pattern onto the tray.



The pattern was also run up and over the sides of the tray.


With the pattern laid out it was then ready to be filled in with paint. If you are not interested in a detailed painting project, another option would be to use one large stencil placed in the center of the tray, such as a beautiful damask motif. (Hum, I like this idea, I think I'll have to make another tray soon!)


To fill in the pattern, a small amount of ivory paint was added to the paint mixture, creating a slightly lighter color.


I am really pleased with how the tray is coming along. Here the pattern has just been painted in and is drying. Another coat will be needed to obtain the coverage I am looking for, and the final steps will probably include a final wash of color over the entire tray followed by a protective finish. Look for the final post in the next day or two...

In the meantime, I am very happy to be the guest blogger today over at Home To Three Duncan Boys. There I am sharing tips on how to select paint colors for your home...check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment