Monday, October 19, 2009

My Search For A Table Leads to Custom

If you have been reading this blog you know I've looked high and low for a 54" round pedestal table. What have I discovered? They are hard to find! Or perhaps my list of criteria has been the stumbling block...it needs to be 54" in diameter sitting no higher than 29", have a dark walnut stain, preferably made of solid wood showcasing good design, and be affordable.

After reading a post about the search a client suggested I contact a craftsman she had used for a sofa table. I remembered how much I had admired this table so decided it might just be worth contacting her "guy".


Who is this "guy"? A very talented craftsman, named Philip Culbertson. Just look at his beautiful work, the sculptural sofa table shown above and the stunning table below. It is like a work of art.
We met to review the possible project last Friday and brainstormed about the design. I originally sent him images of the Somona and Kyoto tables, but if I am going to go through the effort of having a custom table made shouldn't we design the table rather than just copy one? A much more interesting project for both of us!

Possible wood options are the maple and bamboo samples picture below, stained with General Finishes water based Espresso Stain. Gorgeous.


For inspiration I started looking at all types of furniture and came across this console table with the slate detail. It is a striking detail and I've attempted to bring the essence of this piece to the design of the table.
This is the initial rough sketch. I've sent it off to Philip to review and see what input he has, not only from an aesthetic point of view but a functional one. Let's hope there are no major road blocks and this project can move forward! You know I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment