Monday, October 26, 2009

Funky creation alert - headboard turned towel rack



 Can anyone ever have too many hooks in a bathroom? I'm thinking no way.

I've long ago tossed the notion of towel bars in our bathrooms and gravitate towards hooks instead. Hooks not only look rather cool and rarely get that dated look like towel bars can, they are just flat out easier to use.


This was the little system that was working for us for a long time. But I kept glancing at that less than perfect drywall job behind the hooks. So I cranked this towel thing up a notch in preparation for the Christmas tour happening here in less than one month. It was time to create once again.


I had this headboard hanging around for a rainy day. I loved the classic vintage lines. 

I cut off the longer posts flush with the bottom of the headboard, and gave it a coat of white via brush, to capture an old hand painted look. I then lightly glazed it to catch all the nooks and crannies. The glaze is 'barely there' as I wished for the board to maintain as much whiteness as possible.

Tip for glazing: if you want a softer hue to your glazing, use a lighter colour glaze and a damp rag so you can take more off.


To mount ~ first I found where the studs were via a stud finder. Then I drilled screws right through the base into the wall where I knew the hook bases would hide them. To install the hooks, I first screwed in the backer boards where a hook would cover the screw. Hooks got attached over top exposed screws.

Tip for mounting: Think of building backwards when you mount. Know what's going on top so you can figure out how to mount from the start. Hiding all your hardware is a very very cool thing.


I had just found all these numbers IN PACKAGES no less at the thrift. All for $3. I was ecstatic most were all different. Love that eclectic' just found' feel of it all coming on.


The large brass rusty numbers were from my neighbor's front lawn. He'd just ripped them off and they were bound for the trash. But I beat him to it. :) I sprayed them with some matte black leaving some of the natural rust exposed.



How cute is this?!?


From this...


... to miles and miles of funky fun for the whole entire family! 


 It's an ultra productive piece that lends itself towards art as well.

The brush strokes on the piece really were the finishing touch. It gives it a true vintage like finish and shows off the glaze to perfection.

I LOVE the graphic quality. Black against vintage white? Oh yes. :) Neutral flair.

Juuuust one more issue to conquer...


Now I have to train my son to USE it...

So what's your style with towels? Hooks? Towel bar? (floor?!?)

If you have something unique and interesting holding up your towels, I invite you to share your link in the comments! I'd love to see. :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Furniture Feature Fridays



No comments:

Post a Comment