Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fabric Happiness

Pillows are bringing a pop of color into my new work space, a room of creams and tans with the exception of an orange lamp shade. Prior to shopping for fabrics I drew my color inspiration from this print hanging in the entry.


With paints chips, a swatch of the fabric used on the furniture and the above image in my head, off I went to Calico Corners. This company has recently shifted their approach to how they sell fabric. Rather than each store stocking yardage of a smaller selection of fabrics that you carry away, they now have samples of nearly all the fabrics offered by the company from which you order. The fabric typically arrives on your doorstep within a week. A bit of delayed gratification, but it's worth it when there are so many more fabrics to select from.


This is what I found...fabric happiness! The feminine floral is called the Carlisle. If you click on the link you may think I've linked to the wrong fabric. No, it's the same one. This is my one complaint with Calico Corners. The online images rarely do the fabrics justice. If I was shopping online I would have never selected this particular fabric, but in person it is absolutely gorgeous.


The second fabric I selected is a beautiful cotton velvet in rusty orange, the Como, picking up on the bit of orange in the Carlisle floral. This will help tie the pink into the room and the orange coordinates perfectly with the orange lamp shade. These fabrics will be made into pillows for the Derby Curved Sofa, one side of the pillow showcasing the Carlisle print, the other side the Como velvet. Uh la la!


The final fabric I selected will be used to make two lumbar pillows for the Leena Chairs. This geometric fabric is the Baxley in flannel. (I could not find a link to this fabric on the Calico Corners website). The print is masculine, balancing the other fabrics, while giving a nod to the "wallpaper" design above the fireplace.


Once these fabrics arrive I'll be busy at the sewing machine. What projects are next on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment