Thursday, October 29, 2009

A dresser gets a little bling

I was so excited when I came across a bunch of house numbers at the thrift!



I started running through the house wondering where I could find a good home for them.



One place was the headboard turned towel rack. But where to use the rest?!? And then it came to me. I ran for the glaze and drill and the rest is history.



My salvaged $5 dresser from someone's barn in some weird shade of pink...



... recieved a fresh coat of white paint a few months ago. Lovely already! I just love the lines.



I took a sander to the edges for a bit of distressing for extra character. Not bad. I lived with this for quite awhile. Until I got the numbers. :)



I added a very small amount of glaze for further aging, and gave the little dresser some bling!



Notice how the glaze really warmed up the white? Yet it's still white. I am in love with glazing! I'll be doing a tutorial on how I glaze at a later date as this post will be long enough.



And the dresser got further dressed up with a canning jar hugging heart shaped rocks from our summer camping trip...



... with lots of texture in layers of course... the top is a mirror, 2nd is a galvanized framed mirror and the 3rd is an old barn window.



... and a little smattering of burlap. The platters make a wonderful key/loose change drop area.



The 'already ok but a little sleepy' before...



... to the dramatically enhanced after. The small changes of glazing and numbers made such an impact! It doesn't just feel like a lil' ol' plainted dresser any longer. It's now a 'feature.'

It's another one of those projects that makes me grin when I walk by. This dresser has spunk!



The dresser is on the left in this front entry.

Tip: Push it one level more.

As a graphic designer, I know about the rule to do something nice, but attempt to push things one more level. You can do this with virtually any project. Think a little outside the box, and your regular painted feature can become a piece of art with the smallest of details.



Dressers are like Barbie Dolls. You can redress them over and over again just because you can. And maybe even because designers are a tad anal... sigh.. I'm totally walking away from it for awhile. Thanks Survivor, for saving me tonight!

This post is shared with:






Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After party












No comments:

Post a Comment