Sunday, August 29, 2010

The pallet desk project - Part 6, the BIG reveal!




~ The Pallet Desk Project ~

(all parts to date here)







Today
 Part 6 - the big reaveal


Did you see part 5? It was also posted today, so don't miss out on how I did all the things you're about to see here.

So are ya ready?!?

~ This is where I blog ~

I was thrilled when I read about Kate's "Where do you blog?" party. It was the perfect motivation to concentrate on getting this series to a close. And guess what. I did it! :) Thanks Kate!


My blog office is located in our dining room. I LOVE blogging in this room because it's central to everything else that transpires in the household. There is no need to hide away in an office or bedroom and miss out on what the others are doing. I'm right here.



What makes this office extra special though, are all the elements I've surrounded myself with. I love everything on that floor to ceiling storage system. Every object inspires me!




 But what makes this post really special today is the fact that this long awaited funky table is now complete!

I desired a bigger table than what I had, as well as the top secret feature this desk hides. The 27" monitor is sunken into the desktop! This enables me to have my eyes level with the top of the screen, no longer looking up, which was really hard on my neck. ( see part 4 above )


And the build couldn't have been easier, especially for a non builder such as myself. Two sawhorses are the legs...


... and the old palette boards for the top were simply screwed onto the ladder framework below. I made no effort to hide the fact that a ladder was used because I thought it added an additional whimsical detail.  AND a place for the meat grinder pencil holder to sit of course. :)


Old palette boards were sanded and attached in a slightly random style to encapsulate the feel of someone gathering different boards over time, saving them up to create something special.  All the wood was left in it's natural state. The top of the desk will receive a matte finish in due time so it's extra cleanable.


No two boards are alike which is what makes them extra special. The odd white one was even thrown in for good eclectic measure.


Plenty of random screws, big bolts and stenciling just add to the gathered over time scrap look I was after. I felt the boards resembled railway ties in a way, hence the chosen words used for the stencil.


What's not to love, when you surround yourself with all the things you love?


I especially love the desk for the fact that it isn't fussy. The more wear the boards will no doubt receive, the better they'll look over time. If you start with something old, you get the look far faster than if you start with brand new.


Just so I don't miss out on any action, the desk was designed so my son could sit with his laptop right beside me. He wants to start a Lego/photography blog, so stay tuned for that one! I'd like to entice that artistic ability he has any way I can. And what better way to encourage/monitor his doings than having him right beside me? :)


And for those that know me well, it comes as no surprise that I'd incorporate my rusty gears and cogs into the mix on my side. :)


And this little bit of numerical fun changes every 5 minutes. I'll eventually figure it out. :)


Another thing I LOVE about blogging here are the double french doors I generally have wide open in the back. I can glance over and see the entire back yard and mountain view at any given moment, feel the wind and hear the giggle of happy kids doing their thing.


Blogging is a wonderful hobby, but this location makes it all the more special. :)


 When I moved in:


It turned out exactly the way I imagined it. And if I wish to freshen up the top, nothing a coat of white paint, distressed wouldn't cure. :)

Since this is part of a series on telling it like it is, it's safe to say I somewhat hesitate to hit that PUBLISH POST button.  Gaaa...  here we go again. Whoever said breaking new ground was easy?!?

Holding breath, taking the dive head first...

*click*


Part 5 on how I added the details was just posted today as well. Click HERE to get there.
Related posts:

The wall unit build is HERE.

The wall unit staging reveal is HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment