Thursday, August 12, 2010

Frugal Friday~

Howdy y'all!! Welcome to this week's edition of Frugal Friday.



Or perhaps I should say "HALLĂ…" (yeah, that's "hello" in Swedish...I'm smart like that...) seeing as how today I'm going to show you all an IKEA knock-off project.

Some of you may remember a few weeks back when I showed you the Dignitet display system from IKEA. I really wanted this for Mr. One's Tween Room...but even though IKEA prices are quite reasonable, I just didn't want to spend the money. So I decided to create one of my own.

Ikea Dignitet Display System

I thought I'd personalize my version just a bit, so I decided to add some interest by using house numbers. I happened to have a few laying around that I used in the boys' room in our previous house to number their towel hooks...



I just had to purchase the number 4. So I ran to my local big box hardware store (you know the one that rhymes with "foam repo" and bought one.) I also picked up a package of picture hanging wire. But that was it for my purchases.





I wasn't sure what to use for the clips until I remembered that I had some old drapery rings in storage.





I removed the clips from each ring, and I had just what I needed.





The actual assembly was easy-peasy. I just measured and marked where I wanted the numbers to go on the wall (I made sure to use a level so that the wires wouldn't look all wonky once I put them on.) Then I screwed the numbers to the wall leaving the bottom screw a little loose on each one so that I could wrap the picture wire around them. After I wrapped the wire tight, I clipped it with some wire clippers and finished tightening the screws. Then I added the clips and VOILA! My $6 version of IKEA's Dignitet display system!



It adds a fun little sumthin' sumthin' above Mr. One's IKEA Expedit workstation.





I'm sure he'll have it filled up with his artwork in no time!!


Now it's your turn!

You know "da rules"...

1. Please link directly to your post and not just to you blog.
2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so that others can enjoy the frugal goodness.
3. Comment, comment, comment! Show our participants the love!









No comments:

Post a Comment