Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Palette Desk Project ~ Part 1


I don't often take you through all the (somewhat agonizing) steps of a biggish project. My general style has been to show you the before, lightly touch on the build, then revealing the after, sparing you much grief along the way. :)



However, I get asked alot:

Don't you ever mess up?
How do you come up with your ideas?!?
How do you get so much done?
How does your mind work when you dream up stuff?

So I thought, since I'm such a photo and word fanatic, what better way to tell you than to take you along for the entire ride this round?

Ready for a many parter series on a current project? Hop along and sweat learn along with me on this one! It'll be wordy, thought provoking, loaded with indecision, mistakes and troubleshooting along the way. And hopefully a few successes thrown in for good measure too.

Because quite simply, NO. Things don't always go as planned here either. But that's all part of the fun of learning, isn't it? :)

You'll be able to use all these tips for any given project you tackle, so... real wood workers, pop that popcorn and prepare yourself with a  good 'ol hearty laugh. Cuz I'm gonna build me this from scratch!


~ The Palette Desk Project ~

(all parts to date here)

Part 1 - defining the need 

Part 2 - gathering materials 

Part 3 - preparing the materials and design


Part 4 - sink that monitor!

Part 5 - finishing details


Part 6 - the big reveal! 

Today: Part 1 - defining the need

My house is only so big. While I'd love the opportunity to build whatever pops into my head, where would I put the stuff?!? I flat out don't have room for extras, so unless I go on a fun junk hunt and find something I can't live without, 9 times outta 10 I base my projects out of need first.

a) Be receptive to changing needs

I've shown you all the changes this little office area as gone through over the past couple years in THIS post. So what's the problem again?!?


Remember I said I really liked the newest changes? And I still do! Except...


... getting this to die for system has set me back temporarily in the health sense. See that lovely farm table the iMac is sitting on?


I went to alot of work stripping the paint off the top and repainting the thing to better match the new shelving unit behind it. So what's the problem again?!?

The size of the screen is messin' with my neck by having to look up. Got a similar problem? Then say this with me loud and clear...

Dear large screen computer people... 

surely there's a way to have an adjustment setting applied to big screen monitors. Please think about it! Unless of course, you're also selling strange custom built computer tables so the monitor can be lower than the table surface. Thank-you. 

From, the sore neck people.

Some of you on Facebook suggested I simply cut the legs shorter and call it a day. Well, my world doesn't work that easily because I need to:


 b) Tweak to accompany other recently done design changes

I admit, there's another reason I wish to change it. I want a bigger table. Actually, I always have. However the final straw was when I put up that big wall unit thing, I gasped at how it minimized the size of the table.

 Check it out. This is what I mean.


The table looks HUGE here.


And it looks really tiny here. 

Amazing and stunning effect is this not?!?

(&^%^%&EGFT&RTKJHGKG)

Plus, I think I'd still have to lower the monitor and I don't want to hack this table up to bits. It can be used elsewhere. Plus I want something more funky anyway. I have alot of reasons I'm pushing myself on this one. So, on with the new plan we go!

Oh. And let's slide in the new obstacle as of just this Friday. My neck adjusting guy wants me to get THIS for a chair instead. WHAAAAA?????


How is this done you ask?!? 

Easy. Apparently you just need an apple for enticement.



Oh my word... I think I'll take a Facebook friend Angela's suggestion and skirt the table to hide the offending non rusty wrong colour design component! :)

It just gets better after this. Facebook friend Becky showed me THIS link. Check it out! This would solve pet hair issues for certain! Or would it? Anyone try one of these?!? Crazy. This is just crazy talk. But I admit, I'm somewhat amused and curious.

 And so there you have it. I need a new table for 101 made up reasons. Because I want a new table. I want to challenge myself to build. To create another first. Because it's what I do. I, Funky Junk Donna, cause more stress and anxiety on myself. And have too much fun along the way. :)

I have to tell you something. Coming this fall I'm going to involve a real carpenter with one of my projects. However, this round, I just desire to use junk so this one's all mine. But that real deal project is going to be geared for you to follow along as well! Cool huh?


Part 2 coming soon!

How about you? 
Does your current desk and computer combo work well for you?
Ever try a horse exercise ball chair?!? (groan...)


Wanna keep up with the rants in real time? See ya there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment