Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Chalkboard Dresser

I'm off in yet another direction, working on a new project to become a tutorial for HGTV.com. This work has been a lot of fun, though I've left half complete rooms behind me as I tackle the projects one by one, writing articles as I go. I'll be finished by mid September, and then I can return to the Master Bedroom Redesign and finish the Hall Bathroom Redesign by stenciling the walls.

In the meantime, my next project is to paint a dresser with chalkboard paint. Because of all the great chalkboard paint colors now available, I decided to try a really fun and bright color for this project. I chose Mercantile Red from Hudson Paint, which has pink undertones and is a departure from colors I've typically used in my house to date.


Also, instead of buying a dresser for this job I looked around the house first. I spied this dresser previously used in the design below, from the powder bathroom in our last home...


...which was hiding in the master closet in our current home, somewhere below the clothes hanging at the right side of the photo. The dresser will eventually be placed in the bonus room, once I get to the redesign of that room, perhaps later this year! (Have I lost you?!)


Anyway, here is how the dresser was painted with chalkboard paint.


I started by removing the hardware and lightly sanded all the surfaces with a sanding pad. I am loving these things, very easy to use!


Afterwards the dresser was wiped down with tack cloth and painted with a layer of primer.


Then the fun began, painting on the great color. I did begin to wonder what my grandmother would think as I painted. This dresser sat in her bathroom for many many years and I am certain she never dreamed this would happen to it!



A few drips were sanded away between coats of paint.


A second and a third coat were applied...yikes. The directions did say a few coats may be required to get good coverage. Using a tinted primer would probably have been a smart thing to do.


After letting the paint dry for a day, all the surfaces were covered with chalk. Then rubbed in. Then wiped away. Messy, yes. Thankfully it's still summer and this step was done outside.



Now, what to write on it?


Getting advice from Isabella, I am shopping the house for accessories to stage this dresser. The goal is to make the dresser look like it is sitting in the bedroom of a stylish girl approaching her teenage years. (For a beauty shot to accompany the tutorial I'm writing.) Come back tomorrow to see if we succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment