Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Palette Desk Project ~ Part 2, finding materials



~ The Palette Desk Project ~

(all parts to date here)







Today - 
 Part 2 - gathering materials
  • I want a larger desk than what I have
  • I want it lower in height than a reg table to accommodate the large computer screen
  • I want it funky and I want it free, so I'm using junk

Part 2 - gathering materials

Guess it goes without saying that you need materials before you can build much of anything.

But which comes first? The idea or the materials? In this case, because I want to do this for free, materials will dictate how I pull this one off.

But yes, I have to visualize something so I know what to collect. So... because I seem to have a vast and unlimited access to palettes, I've zeroed in on old palette wood.

This is what I say to myself... I place questions before me and answer them before moving on to the next. Yeah, I talk to myself.

Q "What are my options... hmmm... perhaps three identical palettes side by side, adding to the tops, then just make legs and some kind of structure to hold it all up? 

A "Iffy. It would be hard to place the right sized boards inbetween the already attached ones. Nah. Dumb idea. But maybe if I found the PERFECT palettes..."

Q "Or what about just collecting loose boards and somehow attaching them to a framework of sorts for the support, then build some sort of coolish legs?"

A "Yeah, I think so. Let's see what I can find and then I'll know."

See how it all works? I don't have a flip flying CLUE what I'm doing. But I will when I find it. :)

Having forsight helps

Now, don't hate me for this next comment, but I believe this is what makes me feel confident when I'm about to build something.

I can see it object fully built before it's even started. Right down to the nails, colour, texture, height, everything. And I won't stop until I get it looking how I visualize.

What I can't see are all the mistakes I'll make along the way because I don't yet know what will go wrong. :) But I'm finding, wood is very forgiving unless you cut it too short. And because I'm not working with high quality wood, I don't mind the rustic nature I no doubt will leave behind in my quake.

It's not always that easy though. I don't know alot about frameworks yet, so things get foggy when I don't know how to frame something up. That's when I take out my trusty camera and start snapping pics around me that may help for ideas.

Inspiration

Kinda like this. Great table! But some of the details won't work for what I need so I won't be using these pics this round. But it's good to have in case I want them for something else.

Camera Tip

Never ever leave your home without your camera ever again. Always take your camera in case you happen upon opportunities such as this. And always be on the lookout for free inspiration wherever you go.

Shopping


Let's go to the palette mall! (taken on another trip) When I decal my firetrucks, I always start my shift by checkin' out the new stock. What have they got this time? Anything for my new desk I hope??

What you're about to see is insane. Ready?


Ahem... the palette wood bin was FULL to the brim with strips of old palette boards, already taken apart. I have NEVER seen this many in one trip ever. I outwardly gasped when I saw this. But was there enough? I knew roughly how long I desired the table to be so I stacked the boards side by side.


JUST enough!

 After I started breathing again, I needed to find something for legs.



Well, right behind me was the stack you see against the wall. There were 2x4's buried in there, all of varying heights. Loose again!

Now, this is where I start visualizing. 2x4 legs wouldn't look... cool. But SAWHORSES might. :) Once again, I stuffed my truck silly, hoping I had enough because I had NO idea how to build a sawhorse. I'd worry about that tomorrow.

Part 3 is coming soon. I need more photos after the mayhem that transpired (and I'll be sure to tell you aaaaall about it), so I'll continue this soon!

Ok, so... any other wannabe builders out there? How did you learn? ARE you learning? If not, what's stopping you?


Wanna keep up with the rants in real time? See ya there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment