Monday, August 30, 2010

A Creative Lampshade Idea ~ Compliments of Isabella

Isabella was apparently paying attention when I recovered a lampshade or two during the past year. Here is her interpretation of how to cover a lampshade with fabric.


After Isabella asked if she could have an unused lampshade, the next thing I knew she had pulled out a bag of remnant fabrics and another bag full of trims. Then using fabric glue and a pair of scissors she went to work. From that point on I wasn't paying attention. If she was happy and busy, with Max playing with Lego's next to her, I was going to grab this quiet moment and get a little work done!


When she called me in to take a look at the length of fabric that had been pieced together, and wrapped it around the shade, I was certainly impressed by her creativity. Now this is a brilliant idea! Why hadn't I come up with this?


It was fun helping Isabella attach the patchwork of fabric to the shade, using my new favorite gadget...a glue gun. Afterwards she finished the project by securing trim around the top of the shade with fabric glue. I just completely adore the finished shade. I know, I'm being such a mom!!


Not very visible in the photo, Isabella wrote "M a x" on one side of the shade with fabric paint. She explained the shade was designed, with Max's approval and imput, to be placed on a lamp in his room. (I tell you, I will have to remind them who the designer is around here!)


(duvet and headboard fabrics ~ girl's dream bedroom)

(slipcover & lampshade trim ~ big boys bedroom & master bedroom)


This is my favorite side of the shade. The fabric shown at the center was used to recover a client's dining room chairs. She happened to stop by the day the lampshade was sitting here on the console lamp, immediately recognized her fabric and thought the whole thing was just great!

(island pendant fixture fabric ~ kitchen redesign)

(pillow fabric ~ living room redesign)


(message board fabric ~ girl's dream bedroom)


I just love being inspired by interesting design, and how cool is it when that source ends up being your own daughter. LOVE!

Don't be surprised if you see a patchwork lampshade show up in a future design of mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment