Monday, August 23, 2010

The Palette Desk Project - Part 4, sunken monitor treasure



~ The Palette Desk Project ~

(all parts to date here)







Today

 Part 4 - sink that monitor!

    Well, my top secret 'sink that monitor' palette/ladder/sawhorse desk is on it's way! I so wish I had a big reveal for you today, but there's too much to cover to get it all in. So here we go. Let's sink a 27" monitor into your desk so your neck fixer guy can take some summer holidays too!

    Aren't the aged grey woods above rather awesome?!? Sigh..


    So here's the wall unit begging for a funky one of a kind desk to sit in front. Let us begin!


    First, figure out all things electrical. Don't worry about pretty right now. Just function matters. I chose two major plug outlets so I could better hide two lamp cords running down the wall unit.


    I call this next stage a dry run. Everything will be plunked loosely in place to make sure it functions exactly the way I desire before making it permanent.

    Legs in place - check! Wider... narrower... pushed back into the wall unit more... play play play. We'll see.


    Next up, the frame work which happens to be an old ladder is placed and fiddled with as well.  What's cool about this apparatus is it's pretty easy to custom fit this type of desk most anywhere with this method. All you need is a saw to make it all cooperate.

    So how on earth can a monitor sink into a desk like this you ask? Can you guess before you look further?

    Betcha it won't be what you expect. :)



    I decided I wanted the desk top to look flawless, like the monitor was just short, so I placed a separate board behind the ladder.


    The well sanded and prepped palette boards are loosely fitted into place. Oops! I have to remove a few, because...


    ... I want a hole exposed in the back where the monitor will sit of course!  Is it the right height? Let's check.


    Nice.


    Well wouldja look at that... it's working. The wood in front of the monitor was simply scooted into place, stopping at the monitor stand and will be shortened in front.


    So, this is where I lock the cats out of the kitchen so they don't play teeter totter with the top boards, and try it out for size!

    Whoops. That is NOT a dinner plate you see. No sireee.. I don't ever do THAT! :P

    Is the reveal next this time?!? I still have to attach the boards and bring out the paint for a little decoration so I'd better not promise anything before it's time...

    Opinion time! The palette boards don't look grey enough to play with the saw horses as I had hoped they would. Should I paint the sawhorses white? Or grey and age the top? Crate up the top? Make the top white and leave the sawhorses as is? What would you do?

    But oh my.. the height for everything is awesome. Am I convincing you yet that this crazy idea will actually fly?!?


    I'm a talker. Come on over and chat. :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment