Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Take Care Of Yourself...

What a great day I had yesterday, made even more fun by all the sweet messages left through your comments on this blog, tweets and well wishes on Facebook! Oh, and even a few calls! Thank you! What more could a girl ask for?

Then, while enjoying a bit of pampering on my big day, one absolute truth that I kept thinking about was how this birthday would have proven to be a very challenging day...if a lot of work hadn't occurred over the past year. I'll go into this in more detail at some point, but essentially this past year I realized I had to get real with how I was taking care of myself and what I hoped for myself, if I wanted to enter this next decade feeling great about the future. So I got to work.

Why is it as women, mothers and wives in particular, we often find ourselves putting everyone else first? Sometimes when things are stretched thin, it seems like the only option.

But if we don't take care of ourselves first, how well can we really take care of the others that depend on us?


What that "taking care of" adds up to is different for each of us. But the important thing is we identify it, and then do our best to give it to ourselves.


Sometimes it is the small stuff, like getting a pedicure, taking the time to catch up with a friend, or having silly girl time with a daughter. Sometimes it is the bigger stuff that requires more time and effort.


But the important thing is to identify exactly what it is we need to do for ourselves, to allow us to take the best care of ourselves. Only then will we have the right energy and attitude to take care of those around us. Not easy to be sure...but pretty key to it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment