Monday, June 13, 2011

Aging Chain...Instantly!

When I selected the chain to hang the light in the dining room, I knew its finish might be a bit too shiny to coordinate perfectly with the aged brass on the fixture. It had proved to be very hard to find a style with the same finish, but I figured something could always be done to adjust it. My suspicion was confirmed when I picked up the chain, after getting a call it had arrived. Fabulous design, but a bit too shiny. So I came home and quickly tried to figure out how to age it instantly. The electrician was scheduled to arrive early the next morning and the kids and I were supposed to head out to an event right after they got home from school. No time to waste!


{the chain was much more gold and shiny in person, always question catalog photos!}

I pulled out a tube of Rub 'n Buff in Antique Gold, better. It took down the shine, but also added a bit too much orange tone. So a little paint was introduced to the mix, and I started getting dirty.


I ended up with an interesting manicure from this little DIY project. Yes, I should have grabbed gloves, but I was under a time crunch.


Later in the evening when I got home, everything had dried and I checked out the color against the fixture.


Really good.


p.s.
Look at the pile of clutter I was able to clear out during the neighborhood garage sale this past Saturday.
Now the goal is to not accumulate more, so I do not find myself participating in next year's sale!


Tomorrow, finally the fixture has been hung and I will have photos to share. The electrician had quite the time, moving the location of the box to be square to the window and centered on the table...but he succeeded and I am thrilled!!

No comments:

Post a Comment