Thursday, June 30, 2011

Our new mac toy




I have a long and sordid story to tell about all the troubles we've had with crappy computer components. But I'll save you 20 years worth of grief and just speed up to yesterday's exciting instalment.

I went to work yesterday, bringing my son along as school is out. (YES!) We packed up the 'ol laptop and some movies so he could sit in the lunchroom while I wallpapered yet another firetruck.

But... troubles galore hit us from all directions.

I brought the wrong laptop. Oh yes. We have TWO crappy loaners to choose from. One runs at 60% capacity and I grabbed the one at 3%.


I brought the wrong cord. We have a few of those as well. Mix and match you know.


So we borrowed a cord. Strobe light type of connect but if you held it just right...


Ahhhh. Of course. Crappy 3% laptop  doesn't accept dvd movies. Riiiiiight.....


I looked around the extreme mess we'd made of the lunchroom with our jury rigged system and before I mustered a temper tantrum, I simply and calmly resolved to be

DONE. SO DONE.

I announced to my son we were heading to the Mac store  for a new laptop. NOW.


Ever make a very big decision in 30 minutes flat from start to finish? That's so not me but it was yesterday.  I basically blew in those doors with my debit card ready to burst into flames. My firetruck was waiting and my boy needed his movies!


We ended up choosing a new 13" MacBook Pro. My intent was to get a $500 refurbished variety. Until I saw the new screens.

Don't even THINK about old technology! Go for the LED screen.

Plan B was officially in full effect and this laptop became MUCH more than just a means to entertain a 12 yr old.



This thing is itty bitty to me. At a whoppin' 13", it's pretty compact. I REALLY wanted the 15" screen but I also had to accept some reality. Price AND portability. This thing was a lot more compact to cart around. And that's the whole point this round.

(truth be told? The 15" in my price range was sold out.. )

No matter. This will also be my new Starbucks laptop. :) For now. Until, you know, I can spring for that 15" screen for myself and all...



Gotta tell ya, I really hate laptops because of their keyboards. I always use to bring a full size honkin' keyboard with me when using the others. Not cool.

Until my fingers landed on this one.

The keys 'feel' rubbery to the touch and grab your fingers. LOVE them. They also have tiny led lights under them so you can see at night. It's pretty cool. :)


Got a mouse too. The cord is on the short side for right handers though, so not sure what's up with that. I like the cordless varieties but dislike worrying about changing batteries on the road. We went easy this round.

Easy to buy and quality all the way

What I really like about buying from Mac is the fact that your options are bundled and limited. You decide what you need, then decide if the price is ok for your budget. If not, there are others to choose from.  But you KNOW everything is top of the line no matter what you choose. And that makes me hand over my money in comfort.

I'm also a Mac fan because of how easy they are to navigate. I have to know too much with PC's. I don't want to know lots. I just want to punch typing keys, load my pics and have fun, ya know?

We did not go with all the bells and whistles because my son may need a laptop for school next year. I decided on this purchase with that in mind. Maybe by that time I can have my own...

My boy thoroughly enjoyed his new movie experience! The screen clarity is like looking outside. I liken it to HD TV. Crystal sharp and clear. I beg you to go check out what I'm talking about next time you're in the market for a computer/laptop. Because I want any blogger that messes with photos to see what I'm talking about.

This thing will also be so fun to take camping with us. :)


The next recycle depot run will make me smile from ear to ear. And I'll make sure we make a stop at Starbucks with the new laptop to celebrate it all. :)

I'm pretty frugal. But one thing I won't be frugal about is good money well spent. Whether it be PC or Mac will be your call to make. Stay current and you'll love blogging all the more.

(Mac doesn't know who I am or what I did. I bought this baby with my own money.)

What's your last heat of the moment purchase?

No comments:

Post a Comment