Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Keeping Up With the In-Laws~


Thank you to Yahoo! Mail for sponsoring this post about staying connected. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.

When the Hubby and I were first married, we moved across the country from Utah to Massachusetts so that he could attend college.  When we arrived, we moved in with his parents.  What was a supposed to be a temporary arrangement ending up lasting almost 2 years.  For some, I realize, an arrangement like this would be a nightmare.  But I consider it a fabulous blessing.  Because, you see, in that two years I  became closer to my in-laws than I ever would have dreamed possible.


Of course, it wasn't always a bed of roses, but for the most part, it was fabulous!  The Hubby's parents were our best friends.  We did everything together!  Went out to dinner, to movies, on trips to Cape Cod, Washington DC, Maine, New York, Newport, RI....the list could go on and on. 

I loved to learn things about cooking and housekeeping from my amazingly talented mother-in-law, and to debate with and learn about art from my professor father-in-law.  So despite the fact that I was wary of moving to Massachusetts in the first place, I was heartbroken to leave. 

We have lived in Massachusetts since then, but are now "permanently" back in my home state.  (Yeah, I used quotes because life has a way of making you eat your words.  But this move is supposed to be permanent.)  And I miss those two like crazy.

Email has been a great way for me to keep in contact with my father-in-law.  We've had many a lengthy debate via email.  And his patient responses to my sometimes-naive arguments have kept me typing and sending back and forth sometimes for days.  I love this form of communication because of the fact that I can think and edit before hitting send...and that with 4 kiddos running around, I can actually have a conversation without interruption.

But my mother-in-law doesn't email.  Or she didn't, until recently.  I was so excited the first day we received an email from my mother-in-law's newly set-up account!  Hurray!! Now we can swap recipes, and photos with the click of a button!!  It's like a whole new chapter in our relationship (hee hee!)

I can't tell you how important it is for me to keep in touch with these two wonderful people that I love beyond words!  Thanks heavens for technology!  Thanks heavens for email!

Thought I'd share this cute little video with you because it shows how email can keep a family close...

No comments:

Post a Comment