Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Creating a Gallery Wall~

There is a wall in this house that has been driving me crazy since we first moved in. It is at the end of a long hallway. It is quite large. And it is BORING.


I decided to create a gallery wall there some time ago, but I was dragging my feet a bit. I wasn't sure exactly what type of gallery wall I wanted. So I gathered inspiration and finally decided that I wanted something fairly cohesive but a bit organic.


Here's how I turned this wall (which, by the way, might be the most boring photo ever posted on the internet)....




Into this gallery wall....

First of all, I had to make a decision about the frames. Did I want black frames? White frames? Mismatched frames?

I finally decided that I wanted white frames...and not just any white frames. I wanted matching white frames. And I couldn't spend a fortune. So I went to IKEA and found some in a couple of different sizes (some for 5x7s and some for 8x10s).

I am ashamed to say that after I got the frames home they sat...for quite a while. Because I had decided that I wanted the gallery wall to be a bit organic, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to accomplish that task.

Remember when I told you yesterday that I had the perfect place for my sweet Lisa Leonard pennant banner? Well, once it arrived in the mail, it gave me the perfect idea for how I wanted to finish my wall.

So I gathered up my photos and filled those frames. Then, I laid the frame out on my bed to get an idea of how I wanted them to look on the wall.


I've seen a lot of gallery wall tutorials with kraft paper and carefully measured placement. And those are wonderful. But I am not that girl. Impatience is my middle name...and I love to eyeball things. (When I'm doing things for myself that is.) So I started with the middle photo in the collage and moved out from there. Eyeballing measurements as I went.




And to add to the organic/ eclectic feel of the wall, I threw in a couple of monogram "H"s. This metal one is from Anthropologie...it used to sit on the white buffet in my living room.




The white "H" came from JoAnn's.



And then, the piece de resistance my pennant banner. Love. it.









Here's the finished wall again. I'm so happy with the way it turned out.



There's still time to enter the $75 Lisa Leonard giveaway...just scroll down to yesterday's post and leave a comment!


Have a great day~

No comments:

Post a Comment