Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The oh so many boring stages of a project


There are many stages I travel through when I work on a project.

Here, let's use my current project, the photo studio as a fine example.

Starting stage

I'm all excited to start something fresh and new!  Creativity is at an all time high and I just wanna MOVE. Full speed ahead! I giggle and run and jump and prepare for a gay 'ol time!


And since I love speed so much, I was going to attempt to cheat with the photo studio. I wanted the far wall done so I could use it immediately while I slowly completed the rest of the room. I have a fun treatment in mind and couldn't wait to get to the best part!

But as you know, one thing touches another and soon you're moving backward at a much quicker pace than forward if you don't do things in the right order.

The fun wall is officially delayed. I have to finish the other (yawwwwn...) stuff first.

Boring  stage

This is the point where I tend to lose interest in a project. What you're doing isn't creative, it's just a task. It's getting... boring.

So now let's sprinkle on some glitches and move on downhill shall we?


 Lookin' good, huh? Yeah well, let's move in a little closer...


Grit your teeth stage

The ceiling was being fussy. These pine ceiling boards have been up for some time now but they've long since settled and pulled apart a bit, making it difficult to paint in between all the sections.  Honestly, if I had a can of spray primer on hand, I would have given it a workout on the ceiling.  Since I didn't, let's just call this look the vintage boarded up look and call it a day. NEXT! (how does one paint all that in between stuff anyway?)

Then the curtain hardware (not shown, it was too boring) fussed and moaned when I wanted to try and remove it. Some weird screws were jammed into the window moulding (isn't this suppose to be in a WALL?) and I couldn't remove it easily without hunting for the weirdest tool known to mankind. Taking too long. PASS.


And why oh why I didn't completely empty the room before working I don't' even know. Oh right... I'm actually using it while in reno mode. So there all my props and mess sit... wonderful tripping material.

Quitting stage

Fuss, moan, whine, stomp, I walked in and out of this room a bazillion times yesterday looking for a GOOD reason to quit. Start, quit, start, quit.


 Danger stage

And then comes the dangerous stage. This is where I wander around the house looking for something fresh and NEW to start because I'm craving that Starting Stage again. I honestly was carrying around a roller loaded with white paint looking for a new place to smack it!

RED ALERT! Walk away from the walls! Get back downstairs and finish up!

Procrastination stage

 But I got so bored my eyes crossed so I went on the net to play for a short spell, dreaming of going to Hawaii or some such nonsense like that.  I even played out in my mind where we'd go camping this summer. I was about to walk outside to start cleaning the trailer that very split second but naturally I do have about 5% common sense clicking in from time to time. I shuffled my way back to my boring room instead.


To take artsy pictures of a crudded up paint can.  I'm sure paint stores all over are shuddering at how I did not anally wipe the rim clean after each and every single use. This here is livin' on the EDGE in paint country, friends! Fists in air... WOOOOO!

I've officially lost it.


Blog about the pain of it all stage

Yup. I made it here too. That's good, right?

So, is this why top designers have a team to take care of the boring? Where's that sign up sheet?

I think I've figured me out. I need quick and rapid change at an alarming rate. I guess that's why I have 7 projects or so on the go, huh?

Hey.. at least this way I can have a fresh new boring to wander to when an old boring gets too boring.

Need some help staying motivated? 
I wrote a post on that very topic back in August.

10 tips on staying motivated, positive and productive!

 
Guess I'd better reread it. :)

 Do you bore easily?

No comments:

Post a Comment