Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Strange But Wonderful Easter

It started out like any other Easter, with a nice dinner hosted by my mother. I did think it was rather odd when my brother and sister-in-law arrived in two vehicles, but I didn't get around to asking why.

Then after dinner, while we sat around watching the kids devour way too much chocolate my brother said, "okay, let's start going through the boxes." What?


{a painting by my grandmother}

Then he proceeded to bring in box after box, pulled from storage in his attic...hence the need for the two cars. But let me back up. My parents now live in the house that was originally my grandparent's home. It is such a kick for me to bring my kids to this house, seeing them excited to arrive at their grandparents house, remembering how thrilled I was whenever I got to visit my grandparents in this very house! Well, after they could no longer live in the home on their own, my brother took the lead in packing up their belongings, many of which ended up in his attic. I had no idea. So on Easter, box by box, he opened and shared the contents, each of us chiming in if it was something we wanted, if it should be donated to Goodwill or taken to an antique store. This went for a couple hours, and I can't begin to tell you what fun it was! I absolutely completely adored my grandparents and I couldn't believe all the treasures we got to visit again, so many carrying wonderful memories. My kids were over the moon as well, getting to pick a selection of treasures to take home themselves.


One of Isabella and Max's favorite picks, (that was actually my mothers, I have no idea how it ended up in these boxes) was a timer of all things! Looking at it I think of all the Saturday mornings spent baking cookies with my mom and brothers, closely watching the time tick down, impatient for the ding so I could eat a big cookie!


My eyes got big when these botanical prints came out...they hung in the hallway and I loved them.

Then I heard "grandma's paint by numbers", looking up I nearly screamed in delight!
Okay, I actually did.




These hung in my grandparent's bedroom. I remember them from when I was a tiny girl, thinking wow, that place looks amazing, I want to go there someday. Max insists they will be hung in his room, we'll see!


And then out came a painting by my grandmother that she just adored, a bouquet of flowers painted on black velvet. Yes, can you get more tacky? But it is beautiful, all chipped, worn and faded. It needs to be stretched and re-framed, but when it does I'll show pictures.

What a happy day, it felt like I got a little of my grandparents back and was able to share a little of them with Isabella and Max. Certainly an unorthodox way to spend Easter, but it's one I won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment