Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Subway Art: My Version and a Mini Buffet Makeover~

Okay, so I have to preface this post by reminding you that I have an obsessive need to constantly tweak and redecorate. So I had barely finished redoing my small buffet (as seen in this post) when I already had the desire to tweak it. Don't get me wrong. It was pretty. Just not quite "me". Know what I mean?

BEFORE (pretty, but not quite right):


The more I looked at it, the more I knew that I wanted to bring back a bit of the black. I like the sophistication that a bit of black brings.


I also have been crushing on all the subway art signs that I have seen floating around blogland. So I decided that it was high time I made some for myself.






Here is my version...filled with cities that are meaningful for our family. For example, Kennebunkport, Maine - at the very top of the sign - is where the hubby and I spent our honeymoon. Newport, RI is where we spent my 24th birthday. Just last year. (ha, just kidding!) You get the idea.




When I put it up on the wall, I knew other things were going to have to change as well. The pretty pink faux cherry blossoms looked much too sweet against the sign. So I replaced them with white blossoms in a rustic vessel. Then I brought back my pretty terrarium that had previously been on the buffet. But the two things looked a little bit lonely, so I added a stack of old books tied with twine.



Finally, I decided that the lamp needed a little bit of zing, so I added some grosgrain ribbon around the top and bottom. A little dab of hot glue holds the ribbon in place so that I can easily remove it when I'd like another change.







So here she is...the little buffet all done over (again.) I'm lovin' this version. And that cute subway art? I'll have a tutorial for you soon.




Have a great day~

No comments:

Post a Comment