Monday, April 18, 2011

Redesigning A Light Fixture

A large brass fixture has been sitting in my garage, though unfortunately that brass is hidden beneath a layer of black spray paint! While browsing for a light fixture to hang in the dining room I saw several great options, but in the end I decided it would be worth the effort to see if anything could be made from what is already on hand.


I began by researching chandelier parts online and came across a few items that could dress up the fixture, creating more interest. Inspired by my all time favorite chandelier, which now hangs in our master bedroom, I realized something similar could be done with the above fixture.


For instance, how about adding brass bobesches and crystals?



I Love this brass style and it can be ordered with holes at the flower tips, to hang crystals.


And unexpected round light bulbs would add even more style.


So I think I've got the style down. The next issue? How to remove the spray paint and primer to reveal the beautiful brass below, while avoiding damage to the fixture. I scraped a tiny bit off with a putty knife. That wasn't smart. Then I found a plastic implement, which actually worked very well, but is proving to be too time consuming. So next I went online to research what others had to say about removing spray paint from metal.

How To Remove Spray Paint from Metal:
{Answers from eHow.com!}

1. Apply paint thinner to the spray painted area with a paint brush. Scrub the area with a piece of fine grit sand paper until all the paint is lifted. Rinse the area with clean water. (Ouch, the sand paper part won't work here!)

2. Heat the spray painted with a hair dryer to heat up the paint and scrape it off with a scraper. Wipe the area clean with a clean cloth. (This is the next thing I'm going to try!)

3. Apply acetone to a clean cloth or soft bristled brush and scrub until all of the paint is gone. Rinse the area with clear water. (No, I'm thinking the scrubbing with a bristle brush part probably wouldn't be too smart.)

4. Pressure wash the spray paint using 80 psi. Paint stripping chemicals can be applied to the surface such as varnish before pressure washing for even better results. Spray the nozzle in a back and forth motion making periodic checks to make sure the metal isn't being harmed in the process. (If this were possible...remember this thing is wired...the visual cracks me up. My neighbors would really think I'd lost it if they were to drive by and see me pressure washing not my driveway, which needs it, but a light fixture!)

5. Apply paint-stripping solvent to the spray paint, using a paintbrush specifically intended for use with paints that have an oil base. Wait 60 to 70 seconds for the stripping solvent to loosen the spray paint. Scrape off the remaining paint with the putty knife. Use 80-grit sandpaper, a wire brush, a dental pick and a wire detail brush to remove stubborn particles of spray paint from tight, awkward areas. Continue until you have stripped the metallic surface bare. (I'm going to try to stay from dental picks, so I did another search...)

How do you remove spray paint from antique metal?
{Answers from Answers.com}

6. By steam. (Too bad I don't have a steamer!)

7. Chemical paint strippers are also very successful for removing spray pay from antique metal. I have used both Peel Away 7 and Smart Strip Paint Remover for this type of job. Both products work extremely well.
(As a last resort, these may be the way to go.)



The revealed brass is really beautiful, with a muted sheen and a slightly worn finish. I guess living under a layer of spray paint for a time might have that effect...

So, have you ever painted something only to later regret it? Were you able to remove the paint? If so...how?!

No comments:

Post a Comment