Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Mission Statement, Of Sorts, & Random Musings About the Future

Earlier this week while reading Sarah's blog, Modern Country Style, I learned she would be hosting a linky party today called 'Define Your Blog'. What great timing, I've been thinking about my blog and it's future recently. So I immediately commented I'd be linking up a post and then started to wonder what on earth I would write!


The start to my blog could not have been more random or with less thought. Sorry, no grand mission statement behind this venture! Rather, upon my husband's suggestion one night, we went onto blogger and set up Isabella & Max Rooms. The idea was that it would be a good extension of my website and a useful business tool. Then I basically forgot about it. Occasionally I would post something, but it wasn't until the start of our Master Bathroom Redesign did I see the opportunity to post on a more regular basis, covering all the steps and projects done to transform the room.

I quickly found it was a lot of fun to work on projects knowing I would get the opportunity to share the process and my ideas with people beyond my immediate family. (I think they were happy as well, no more knocking on my door only to be immediately dragged to whatever room I was working on to review my latest project!) Additionally, the process of thinking through how I was going to describe and explain my projects and decisions in a post had the side effect of making me a better designer. It forced me to more sharply analyze the choices for each part of a project and also pushed me to be more creative.

So far, so good. Then a couple people found the blog and it did begin to generate more client work. I have to say, however, the two things that have been the most rewarding aspects of writing this blog were completely unexpected. The first is how I hear from people on a frequent basis that something I've posted about has inspired or helped them tackle a project. Knowing very little about blogs when I began, how would I have had any idea this would happen?! The second, equally surprising, are the connections and friendships I have made through blogging. If someone had asked me to write a mission statement recently it would have read: Enjoy the process of transforming rooms while sharing DIY projects, tips and resources to provide inspiration, with the goal of building a meaningful community along the way.


{Random pretty picture that makes me very happy...Peonies from my Dad's garden.}

Now to the present and future! While this mission statement remains on the mark, a lot has also changed recently! I still adore working on rooms in my home and sharing the process, but I do realize there are a limited number of rooms left to address. Has anyone else thought of this?! When I'm done with the house, then what? In a typical market I'd be campaigning for a move, but the economy and my family are having none of that.

Additionally, an interesting shift occurred after returning home from The Nate Show, where I had the fabulous opportunity to meet so many of my favorite bloggers. I started thinking about what a solitary job it often is, writing for this blog and other publications. What was missing and what I knew I would welcome would be the opportunity to work in a more collaborative environment.


{Sarah, Erika, Lakeitha, Kate...women making a difference!}


{Emily!! So adorable...I like this lady!}

So after a lot of brainstorming, talking with my husband and a few of my friends in the blogging community, I decided to launch the e-zine House of Fifty. To make room for this I stopped taking on client work and got busy lining up contributors for the first issue. It has been a good challenge to get out from behind the safety of the computer, to pick up the phone and to meet with people in person to forward this venture. As the topics covered in House of Fifty go beyond design, it has been refreshing to expand my focus beyond interiors. I adore interior design, but there are so many other areas of life that are also interesting to explore.



{Premier Issue Table of Contents}

I feel change coming on. I know the heart of my blog will remain interior design, but there is so much more that I am also passionate about. I studied art and fashion, working in the clothing industry for years, I am finding time for more exercise these days and in my pursuit of feeling great (to keep up with my kids!), I'm looking at how I eat and what food I serve my family more closely. The list goes on, and some of it I would enjoy writing about here. I think a blog is best when it accurately reflects the person behind the posts and I am beginning to realize if I am to remain excited about my blog and always have content to publish that I'm passionate about, it will probably require a little diversification. I hope you'll be on board with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment