Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Still Working On...The Bench Redesign!

Is anyone wondering about the status of the bench redesign? While there has been some progress, I wasn't too motivated to rush forward as the replacement nail head trim have been on backorder. But I've been told they should arrive today, so time to get moving again!



Here is where I left off in my previous posts on the bench. (Sometimes I wonder, are you interested in seeing just the before and afters, or the steps in between? I certainly have a few of those today!)


After covering the original cushion, that was previously tufted, with two layers of batting and a final layer of canvas, it was time for the faux ostrich. (All these layers were used to help ensure a smooth cushion surface, I didn't want to go through all this work and have the filled holes show!)


All four sides were stapled to the frame...


...and then I had to figure out how to finish the corners. I eventually decided to tuck the corners under, it was the cleanest approach I was able to come up with. I like it!




Next up, cutting lengths of the fabulous faux ostrich to wrap the bench sides. 


Max had set up his Lego on the island, so I was instructed to stay on my side. Bossy, bossy! I did my best.


Luckily I had some heavy duty thread on hand in the right color and just one denim needle left! According to the back of this packet a denim needle is recommended for faux leather, just an FYI.



After the four pieces were stitched together the band was temporarily placed around the bench to make sure it fit snugly. Today I'm running over to Joann Fabrics to get a length of cording to insert along the top edge of the band, and then wait to see if UPS does indeed deliver the nail head trim. Step by step, it is getting there!


And the light fixture in the corner? I'm considering a "redesign" here as well, to make it work in this room. It would need to be rewired, the finish stripped (it was painted with black spray paint but is brass!) and some details added...so, I'll have to see if I come up with something that inspires me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment