Sunday, April 24, 2011

Our gardening picnic movie fluffy coffee river walk Easter


I remember a time when seasonal holidays meant running to two families, attempting to nail in all the visits you can.

These days, it's a little simpler in our household. With both my parents gone and without in laws, our traditions are slowly changing and growing into our own.

So what does a gal and her son do for an Easter weekend with no required agenda? Nothing! And plenty. :)

We gardened




We had one day of sunshine, so it was time to charge for the front door with gardening clippers in hand and get ready for the big power wash that's to come. The deal I cut with myself is to get the majority of the cleanup done first so I can keep the driveway clean for at least a little bit after power washing, so a clippin' diggin' and rakin' we went.

I LOVE gardening. Plants don't negotiate, they're content with whatever. And it's a task generally done on a nicer day. Even my indoor animals find me to be a part of it.

We had a picnic


For our Easter feast, I made a big pot of homemade chicken veggie/noodle whatever I had on hand soup. But on such a nice day, I couldn't stand the thought of missing that warm sunshine on our faces, so I had my son choose any spot he wished to set up our sleeping bags to have a picnic.

He chose the park that's behind our fence so it felt a little more adventurous. Aren't we wild? :)


He even got clever for our table and hauled out a few cedar planks. Way to junk it up, my boy! :)



Our soups are like runny stews... we like it chunkay. :)

If you want the recipe, let me know. It couldn't be easier to make!

We went for a river wander


 We are sooooo very blessed to live walking distance from the river. And it was such a pleasant surprise to find how low the river was. This means we could wander to our heart's content along the beds.

My new mantra is to walk daily so this is a fun place to land.



We skipped stones and poked the sand with sticks and just enjoyed the beauty until dusk. Peaceful and spectacular.

We indulged 



Rather than Easter gifts and such, we picked up a few chocolates to hide for Easter morning and went out later in the day instead. I'm currently hooked on Starbucks' Cinnamon Dolce Lattes and just discovered the no fat version online tonite! I had my last fattening one today because I'd rather go low fat than not at all.

For you see, I'm on a mission to get into optimal health. I'm also looking into juicers. Any tips?


And took in the theater flick Rio. Cute!

The scenes looked so much like Hawaii making me a bit homesick for my favorite escape. It's been about 13 years since I've been there and I want to take my son one day. Quite honestly, I'd be willing to go anywhere where there's a palm tree right about now!

This duo had a nice Easter. But yup, I missed my parents and there's one thing I will do in honor of them next Easter. I've never made it before but it's time.


 My mom always made a Mennonite Easter bread called paska. It's a sweet bread that you spread with icing. And it is AMAZING.

My awesome neighbor Corinne did bring us a delicious loaf before Easter which we DEVOURED before I could grab my camera. However I missed having a piece on Easter day. That's the one thing that makes me smile and think of the love my mom put into this special holiday. So it's time I carry the torch for our own little family and carry forth the tradition. Me. Bake bread. Wish me luck!! I have a year to figure it out. :)

We also took in a lovely Sunday morning church service even though I was reluctant to go. You see, I don't like crying in church and last year the Pastor really dove in heavy about the crucifixion. I was a wreck and we left early. Let's just say I will never be able to watch The Passion of the Christ. I think it was the whole dying thing and my mom had just passed on so I couldn't deal. I'm glad I took a chance this year. It was light and made you feel like a million bucks walking out. Kudos, Pastor!

The icing on the cake? It was a baptismal service and my 11 year old son apparently wants to get baptized in the worst way. I asked him why and he really went deep into the meaning of it all. I was a little startled just how much he was getting out of the adult church services! Made me a little teary eyed to say the least. 

I hope you had a lovely Easter, no matter what your own circumstances were. Holidays can be difficult, but it's my belief we can make even the simplest things extra special.

We did. :)

How did you spend your Easter?
What's your favorite tradition?

No comments:

Post a Comment