Sunday, April 17, 2011

Would you live in a barn?

 If you were to ask me what my dream home looked like, I'd say it was a heritage home with loads of architectural detail.You'd probably see very little drywall in the mix.

And yeah, I've even had dreams of converting a barn into a home. Wouldn't that be cool?

I think that's why I pull out so many wood projects. I'm attempting to achieve elements that look like they've been there forever, but through furnishings and accessories. I mean, could you imagine covering every square inch of drywall in a typical suburban home? Youch$!


One of my favorite wooden projects has been the old gate screens I created for my living room. So when I got a wild brainstorm at midnight on Saturday, I pulled one of them into my bedroom for a trial run.

Yep. Midnight. :)


 That was only a start. I started pushing and shoving other things in the room with inspiration sparked to an all time high.

Yeah yeah, I know, this comes AFTER my photo studio is done. I heard you. Nothing like this as encouragement to FINISH that room though, right?!?


 You see, I've been wanting to change out my bedroom for some time now. I just desire to anchor the room with richer tones here and there.

But with all plans, there's a small % that leaves you with a ? because you haven't actually SEEN what you have in mind. So when I came across what I'm about to show you, my idea was sealed!

With a whole lot more unexpected inspiration that followed.



When I came across for the love of a house, a link I found on Miss Mustard Seed,  I started snooping around.

This home is lovely beyond belief!  And as if that wasn't enough, while I read, I soon learned about another facet this house is going through. It was the renovation of an attached barn that was becoming part of the home.

Heritage home AND barn? Yes. YES! Wait till you see their plans.


The red section is the attached barn. This is the before.


 


It soon turned into a 3 car garage below, but wait till you see what's transpiring inside.



I barely heard your gasp because I was gasping louder. That door!


And another! But that isn't all.


Beautiful old doors of all kinds are being incorporated into the interior.

Eclectic charm at it's very best.



 Plenty of old weathered looking wood for walls is everywhere you look. Joan shares her color recipe on her sidebar, for this wall is new wood.

Isn't that overhead lantern amazing?



  I was fascinated with the install of this authentic stone hearth.

And impressed with all the steps it took to get it inside!


The hearth landed on this custom built fireplace. I love how the fireplace is going to reach the ceiling with a gradual inward shape.

And just for the record...

 

My own fireplace has a hearth and height with similar factors. :)

And then when I came to this part, I gasped again.





This is a rustic headboard they're creating for the bedroom.

DINGDINGDING!

This headboard nearly nailed what I had in my head last night and brought the visual to life. Mine will have an unexpected twist, but this visual sealed the deal. I now know what my eventual plan will look similar to!

I do believe Joan is building my dream home. Even if it isn't obtainable for me, I can certainly mimic many of these incredible details.  I think I've only started on my home at this point...

Joan, thank-you for allowing me to share your home with my viewers. I know they'll love the details every bit as much as I do.

You can visit Joan's gorgeous home and renovation HERE.

So... what does your dream home look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment