Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reinventing A Console ~ Complete!



before




after


What did it take to complete this transformation? First the console was sanded, removing a thick layer of polyurethane.


To ensure a successful painting job, (one that completely covered the old finish and resulted in a durable finish) the console was then covered with a layer of Sherwin Williams Adhesion Primer. After drying for 24 hours the surface was lightly and quickly sanded with fine grit sand paper. And when I say quickly I mean it, it only took a few minutes to run over the entire console. If you doubt me ask my mom, I was on the phone with her the entire time. "What do I hear in the background, are you sanding?!" Multitasking at its finest in my opinion!


Then, prior to applying paint, the black hardware was transformed with the product of a thousand uses: Rub n' Buff. I suspected the black finish would look too stark against the new paint and this approach fixed the problem for under five dollars.




Afterwards the console was ready for its paint job. I had a can of Softer Tan mixed up in Sherwin Williams ProClassic paint formula, a water based paint that dries to a hard finish similar to an oil based enamel. This paint is a perfect choice for painting furniture and to make certain the paint went on with a smooth finish I added KIM Latex X-Tender, a conditioner which increases working time. Still, a key to painting furniture and cabinetry with success is to not over-brush.


Finally, the right brushes make all the difference. My favorite are made by Purdy, with my go-to brush being the Purdy Clearcut Glider three inch brush with an angled edge. It retails for around $13 and is worth every penny. These brushes help paint go on evenly, leaving a minimal amount of visible brush strokes and best, filaments don't begin to fall out while painting. (The 2 or 2 1/2 inch version is great for edging when painting a room.) If cleaned properly after use these brushes can last a very long time, which in the end makes them the affordable choice.



The inside of the console was already stained a beautiful chocolate brown, so I left it, simply painting up to the line where the stain begins.



I looked at this piece for two years while debating whether or not to paint it. The result is so beautiful I am now wondering what took me so long to jump in and just get it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment