Sunday, January 16, 2011

I'm such a copycat decorator. :) ~ with party date info


 WWMMSD?

That stands for What Would Miss Mustard Seed Do? And over the weekend, I've asked myself that a billion times.


Most of you know about the new challenge Miss Mustard Seed and I've thrown at you. The one where we challenged you to emulate our looks. (read about it HERE)

And we've challenged each other to also emulate each other! So over the weekend I rolled up my sleeves and started. I've taken many of her upscale touches and spread them into one room in my normally rustic decorated home.


 Which meant the temporary removal of my sawhorse sidetable. :)

I putzed around and fussed with details while browsing MMS's blog for inspiration at the same time. I even crafted something I'd never done before! And felt like a complete and utter copycat. :)


Freaky Friday indeed!

I laughed as things fell into place. It was truly like MMS herself walked in, went into my storage dungeon, picked the more refined staging elements and arranged them herself. I gasped whenever I walked back into the room. Boy was she right about Freaky Friday. :)

Then I had to have a little chat with myself. Am I planning to keep any of the changes I'd like to do?  Don't make permanent changes (ie painting or sewing things) if this is not what you ultimately wish to keep. Ok self, I will listen!

Yes Polly, I'm making yet another excuse NOT to sew... :)

But then something started to happen. I started liking the new way. So I had to come up with a plan. So here is my advice to you also trying a look out that isn't otherwise you.


Allow a reset period.

I ALWAYS sleep on changes. It's like my eyes reset the next AM. And they always tell the truth.

The next morning, same gasping thing. BUT... this time, I didn't have an immediate need to change back to my stuff. I found the hand done elements and softer corners quite charming. Who knew. They eluded more warmth back into the room than what I previously had. Hmmm...

Ride the new look out.

After a couple more  days, I felt differently once again. I wanted touches of the new look to stay however incorporate more of my own twist to tie in with the rest of my home. Maybe if I modified that sawhorse table... :)


Permission to try.

What have I learned from this experience thus far? Plenty! You think you like a style and keep doing it. But trying another's style is a big change of direction. It's like trying on an outfit you never had any intention of buying. Can you do it? Would you like it? Think you'll keep it?

We're always decorating the way we think we like. But how do you know you won't fall in love with another way if you don't try? I give you permission to not be you. :)

And don't fear the contest aspect of this challenge. That was simply an incentive to offer a giveaway and we wanted to reward someone that hit the nail on the head. But you're all winners for trying.  I feel like a true winner for stepping out of my own comfort zone! I won a new experience and had a blast. :)

Need help with our looks?


MMS's favorite things post is HERE


 A good source for my own look is HERE for projects and HERE for full rooms. Stalk away. :)

FJI's party starts once
MMS turns 4000

Boy, she'll be old by then, eh? :)

After a discussion on Facebook on what participants desired, more time was highly favored. So I hereby announce to watch for MMS's follower's widget to flip to 4000. Both parties will start shortly after, that we will announce ahead of time so you can be ready!

Two different looks, two link parties, two different posts. And please know, while our buttons look the same, they are coded differently, so please remember to attach the right one for each of your party posts if you choose to use them.

LOL... Know what song just popped into my head? I sometimes wonder how two bloggers with such different styles can be friends! Here ya go...





In case you can't hear it, it's War's "Why Can't We Be Friends." Yeah... I'm old. :)


I can't WAIT to see your own Freaky Friday. :) 
How are things going with your own prep? 
Any new discoveries to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment