Friday, January 28, 2011

Giving away GOOD stuff to good folks

 

I had a goofy experience with Craigslist.


I had an armoire for sale and had some folks come to take a peek. I spent the entire day before cleaning my house for the viewing. 

Did they take it? No.

And then the email requests for viewing grew. BUT most wanted to just take a peek first round, then come back at a later date.

Um... do you know how much work it is to clean your house at just the right time? And set up appointments to be home for all these viewings?!? I therefore ignored the requests and resolved to just FIND someone that wanted it. End the grief of selling.

Which leads to my next point.

If you're wondering where all my new creation reveals have gone lately, I made myself a deal. 


First I had to get rid of stuff to make room for new cool stuff. You see, collectors accumulate...


 GONE.

Yesterday, I gave away this awesome 'as new' entire desk set to a local organization that really needed it. They picked it up in one fell swoop in a big 'ol truck nearly instantly! My kinda purging. :)  Craiglisting this lot would have created a fiasco. Breaking up the lot... umpteen visits.. forget that!

They also took a brand new bristile board dart board I still had in the box. Apparently theirs was badly water damaged and they play darts daily and were at abit of a loss as they rely on donations. I LOVE stories like that!

Know what absolutely stunned me the most? Apparently they aren't use to getting 'good' stuff as donations. Much of what they get goes straight into the dumpster. I hope I set a new trend. Give some good stuff away, not just your junk. The goodwill gesture WILL come back to you. You just wait.

You see, these fellas helped paint my exterior house trim. For free. I was thrilled to finally have found a helpful way to give back.


 GOING.

And they're willing to take this armoire currently located in my son's room next, as soon as I get it ready! YESyesyes!!


 First I have to undo that tray I just made out of one of the doors. Whoops... I knew I didn't paint it for a good reason. :)


 GONE.

This armoire went to some neighbors that desired something larger to house a TV in. I'm soooo glad I didn't sell it and gave it to them instead. 

And here's the goodwill part. They ended up giving something back that I couldn't do myself...


 NEARLY ALL GONE.

They helped lug that mammoth TV into the back of my truck to bring it to recycling, brought down a beat up twin bed which I took to the dump just yesterday, (tried to give it away, no one would take it!) AND....


And they helped me move my farm table into it's final resting home, my new craft/photography room! Check it out.. I was playing with 'centerpieces' for SNS this weekend!

Yeah yeah... that floor jumble will be on floor to ceiling shelves in no time. Baby steps here... :)


The point of this post?

Consider giving good stuff away rather than Craiglisting it. Not only is the move instant gratification on your part, you're helping others that may need it, PLUS only good will come your way due to it somewhere along the line.

Trust me. Every time I do a goodwill gesture, I get back 10 fold.

Update: I already received one good deed just a moment ago. The garbage man picked up ALL my garbage I left at the curb. I ran out of overload tickets and decided to try anyway. It's all gone! Bless that man's heart...

What do you do with the stuff you no longer want?
Prefer to throw away or give away?
Have good experiences with Craigslist?


Linkin' up! Moving this stuff was WAY long overdue!

 Other stuff:

See you tonite at SNS! And bring your centerpieces along. :)


DINGDINGDINGDING! 

As for the Copy Me challenge? Lucky duck Miss Mustard Seed is busy at Blissdom so we will announce the party date once she arrives home.

No comments:

Post a Comment