Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Street Banners As Wall Art



Using Street Banners as art is a Trend I Love! A great site to find an outstanding inventory of street banners from cities around the world is Better Wall. Do you have a favorite city, museum or artist? I bet there is a street banner to match.

This is my favorite banner (favorite city+great artist+great memories) and the story behind it. The Flying Circus street banner, by artist Kenton Nelson, originally hung above the streets of San Francisco. This banner celebrated the opening of Crissy Field in 2001, while I was enjoying living in this special city. Crissy Field was originally a marsh and later an airfield as part of the Presidio Army Base. Finally the area was restored by the Golden Gate National Park Conservancy to the outstanding park, natural area and historic site that it is today.

Crissy Field runs from the Marina District to Fort Point at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge, with a trail along the way. If you ever find yourself in San Francisco you must find a few hours to wander along the bay taking in the spectacular scenery and salty air.

Near the end of the path is the Warming Hut, a casual spot to grab a really good panini sandwich and a warm coffee...even in summer you'll probably be chilled by the time you reach this spot!



It was on one of my frequent walks in Crissy Field that I spotted a Flying Circus street banner hanging on a wall in the Warming Hut.


I immediately looked for the price. Ouch. Then a conversation with a man working at the Warming Hut resulted in a bit of a scoop. One last banner was rolled up in the back, if I was interested he could sell this one to me at a discount due to some wear on the edges. Well yes, please bring it on out! (A bit of wear? It is a street banner...shouldn't it have at least a bit of wear?!) It looked completely fabulous to me and this is how I was finally able to take home the banner I had been dreaming about for months.

And speaking of dreaming...scroll down to the Stella & Dot Giveaway post below and enter to win $150 of your selection of dreamy jewelry! Good luck...Janell

No comments:

Post a Comment