Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Living Room Attends The "Price My Space" Party Hosted At Nesting Place.




The Nester is hosting another "Price My Space" party at Nesting Place. It is very interesting to see how people have put together their rooms and sshhhhhhhhhhhhh...what it cost!

Here's my entry ticket to the party. This "Rustic Lodge Meets Modern Design" living room is decorated with furniture and accessories brought in from a variety of rooms in our previous home. The drapes and drapery hardware are the only items purchased specifically for this space. However, after living here for one year the room has been used only a handful of times. What wasted space! So this room is next on my "Redesign" calendar. I'm glad, however, to at least have a chance to show it off prior to taking it apart and recreating it as a highly functional room in our home.

Always looking for a deal, I fell in love the Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Freud Chaise Lounge and then watched it for a few months. Finally the floor model went on sale at a savings of 50%. I tried to bargain the price down a bit more due to a few scratches on the orange leather, but to no avail. $1,100 and it was mine. More MG+BW fills the room, including the Skylar Floor Lamp with its wonderfully oversized orange shade, purchased with my 30% off discount for around $300. The last item from my beloved MG+BW (sadly, the store no longer exists in Portland) is the Anna Armless Sofa found for $900. The task of taking the room apart has already begun with this sofa its matching slipper chair being sold to a client for $750. Can I take this off the total for the room?

Accessories. The resin deer head was found at Z Gallerie. The finish was brown but I painted it a glossy ivory. The store now sells it in ivory. I posted the room the deer head was originally hung in on HGTV's Rate My Space and was surprised by the immediate reaction by many viewers. People were OFFENDED. To get away from all the nasty comments I went to the gym with a stack of magazines. Wouldn't you know it, virtually every room in every magazine was filled with all kinds of taxidermy, fake and real. So there. I went home and ignored all the scathing comments. $199 plus $6 for paint.

More Accessories. Basket to place shoes, from Crate & Barrel for $42. Fire Screen, around $22 from Target. The two striking Hurricanes were found at Crate & Barrel this past spring on clearance, $49 each. The Tray on which the magazines are stacked is from Pottery Barn, again on sale for $18. A large Lumbar Pillow sitting on the sofa is also from Pottery Barn, $12 on clearance with fill from JoAnn fabrics for around $10. Heart Print by Jill Mayberg, found at a local shop for $15 and placed in a $25 Thomasville frame from Target.

Drapes. Clearance at Pottery Barn, with an additional coupon. Double width Payton Linen panels, two for $255. PB Standard Oversized Drapery Hardware, also from Pottery Barn, $139.

Now for the found, hand me down and gift items in the room. The coffee table was given to my husband by his apartment super when someone down the hall moved out. Free. The oval side table was once my grandmothers, free. The plant that sits on it, a "do you have a place for it" gift from my Dad. The globe sitting on the coffee table, a gift. The chunky ivory throw on the sofa, a gift.

Finally wall color, Sherwin-Williams Quiver Tan 6151 with Universal Khaki 6150 used for the "wallpaper" design, $52.

So what does that add up to? $3,193. Can I deduct the $750 I just recouped by selling the sofa?

While a hefty sum of money, it is not a lot to spend on a living room. Well, until you consider it is a room that doesn't get used, then it becomes quite expensive. Look for my new "Living Room Redesign" project posts beginning soon, and watch this room be turned into a space that will be used everyday! Janell

No comments:

Post a Comment