Monday, August 31, 2009

Steelmaster + Henri Bendel = My New Work Space



I would imagine looking at this Steelmaster Cabinet, which has spent the last several years hanging out in garages, does not inspire images of a beautiful work space.

But look at all the wonderful drawers, just the right size for office supplies, small samples, catalogs, drawing materials and on and on! With the multitude of drawers and its size being just right for the left corner of the room...I absolutely have to make it look pretty!

That should be possible, I mean, it came from Henri Bendel for goodness sake. Oh? What was a Steelmaster cabinet doing living at Henri Bendel? Well I imagine someone there found it as useful as I did once it became mine.

For years it was perfect for housing all kinds of supplies used in making my sample garments. And how did it become mine? A friend snatched it up for me when they stumbled across a liquidation sale of goodies from the back rooms of Henri Bendel's Michigan Avenue Store, when sadly it closed.


Let me get sidetracked for a moment...I loved that store, a boutique full of absolutely perfect finds. During the time Henri Bendel was open in Chicago I was studying fashion at SAIC. I would walk the aisles lovingly adoring the new styles from favorite designers as the goods were hung on the racks...though I never once actually purchased anything there. Hum, too many customers like me and you can see why they closed.

Anyway, fast forward. After I stopped working in fashion the cabinet became forgotten, collecting dust and grime. But I couldn't part with it, I guess I knew it would be needed again someday. After a good cleaning it is showing its promise.

The next step, primer...and you know I'll keep you posted on the progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment