Thursday, May 7, 2009

We're having a garage sale!


What have I gotten myself into.

I'm no stranger to holding garage sales. In fact, no matter where I've lived in the past, I've actually organized many of them and have flipped them into massive neighbourhood fun. One sale I organized actually frightened me. Nearly every neighbour on the road joined in. Saturday morning WELL BEFORE things were suppose to start rolling, I opened my blinds and gasped! There wasn't a place avail to park in sight. People milled around the road like moving ants. My heart started pounding. This was gonna be good. And it was the most fantastic sale with good easy to read signs, and many of them leading the masses from main roads right to our homes.

In our quaint little town, Saturday will be a city wide garage sale day. I didn't know there was such a thing. A neighbour called me wanting to know if I wanted to join her so we'd have more of a neighbourhood connection for a better draw of folks. I reluctantly said yes...

These things are alot of work! You want your stuff priced, organized, clean. Change handy, and all that jazz. Signs need to go up. It's now Thursday and I haven't even started. Not a good sign, eh?

Here's why. My garage is FULL of reno stuff that can't get wet. Normally I would start prepping in there, open the door Sat AM and voila, the sale is setup and ready for the steady mass of thrifty snoopers. I can't preset up outside because it's pouring rain. This looks like it's going to be a last minute venture. Oy.

My 9 yr old son and I will man the fort. I'm encouraging him to clean out some of his toys and in return, he thinks he's gonna rake in big coin. He tends to price extravagantly. I'll have to coach him otherwise I'm sure.

If you click on that little garage sale picture, it'll take you to a host of good hints if you plan to have one or have ever even entertained the idea. They ARE a great way to get rid of stuff. Every time there's a lull in the pedestrian traffic, I generally dash inside the house to find MORE sellable loot. It's so fun to see it go!

Here's other great writeups on all kinds of ideas right down to where to hide your money.

So, no projects for this week here. It's about the sale right now.

Now, I have a problem. I like stock within my house. But I can't move right now. I want my stock but I want my room. I'm going to have to compromise and relinquish some stock.

If you are anything like me, you'll want that item back after it's sold. You KNOW what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'll just post a sign at the end of the driveway, "Gone Fishin' Instead.' and forgetaboutit.

Wish me luck! I'm on a city wide map to have a sale now! Eep...

Edited to add: I'm now on a roll. I wana get rid of EVERYTHING I'm tired of. That means I'd have an empty house. Whaddya think? Just, start over. Do you have any idea how tempting this is?!?

So, what are your thoughts on hosting garage sales? What tips would you give others hosting them? (other than have someone kick you in the butt and call you sucker)

No comments:

Post a Comment