Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Adorable character outbuildings!


I happen to have a framed greenhouse in my backyard that houses firewood of all things. Flappy crappy plastic snaps with every wind gust. The greenhouse could be adorable, but I needed some major inspiration.



On the weekend, I frequented a lovely little quaint place called The Back Porch. This home based business resides in Harrison Hot Springs, BC and is very unique. Not only in what you see, but what they do.

This is the main (gorgeous I might add!!) house. But outback, they specialize in roasting their own coffee beans on site. The fragrance is enough to drive you to eat the beans as is! There's also a pottery studio, as well as antiques sold outdoors. And the property is dotted with lovely character buildings that are used for a greenhouse, chicken barn, the antiques store, and a real working outhouse.

I needed some inspiration badly for my greenhouse project, so I thought I'd share my findings with you.


What is not to love?!? Old barn wood adorns every square inch. I love the little porch that hugs this one. Even the door is loaded with olde tyme shabby charm.


Antique accessories hang from every beam imaginable. And each building of course incorporates old glorious windows!

I love how the ivy makes itself at home and wanders where it desires. Note the unique way to display the clay ornament. On an antique dolly. Cool..

I so want that light! Isn't it neat how the outdoor tools look right at home stored on the outside of the building?


Now THIS is cool. The greenhouse is fabricated with old windows. Period. Obviously, the house was built around the windows to fit. Clever! I never tire of peeking at this building to see what's inside.


Lovely pots and accessories adorn every imaginable wall.



In the real chicken character barn, even the eggs have a unique home once gathered.



I LOVE how there are two directions taken with the wood clapping. And again, anything old against it simply looks like it belongs.

The property had lots of other accessories, and one of them is benches, which I will highlight in their own post soon!

I've already started collecting wood for my character building, but unfortunately, I didn't end up with as much as I thought I had. So the collecting will continue. I'm just so very fortunate to have found the most amazing inspiration for all the things I love.

Do you have a tool shed, potting shed, playhouse, or greenhouse out back that could use some old charm TLC? Consider using these character buildings as a wonderful reference to create something special right in your own backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment