Thursday, May 7, 2009

Frugal Friday~

I know you all have seen this picture about 100 times, but for today's Frugal Friday, I wanted to share my boys' upholstered headboards. Let's face it, headboards can be expensive, but they really give a room a deliberate, decorated look. So what's a girl with Frugal OCD (Obsessively Consumed with Decorating) to do?



When we moved into our house two years ago, I was faced with the decorating dilemma of putting three boys in one room. I knew that I wanted the two beds that would be in the room to match (no, we didn't make Mr. Three sleep on the floor...he's still in a crib), and I knew that I wanted them to look more timeless and sophisticated than cutesy. But I couldn't spend a lot of money.


Then I hit on the idea of upholstering my own headboards.




Here's the process in a nutshell...


What you need:



  • Get yourself some plywood...figure out how tall you want the headboards to be, and cut the plywood to size. If you don't have the tools at home, they can do this for you right at the home store or lumber yard.


  • Get yourself some batting...


  • Get yourself some fabric...the fabric I chose was only about $4.99/yd at JoAnn's. (Trick is to find inexpensive fabric that just looks pricey.)


  • Get yourself a staplegun.


Process:



  • I know people who will tell you to use spray adhesive and affix the batting to the plywood before adding the fabric. Not this girl! Nope. I just wrapped the batting around the plywood and stapled it on the back. Then I did the same with the fabric making nice hospital corners. In my case, I also wrapped the fabric all the way up the back so that it completely covered all the plywood... this is not necessary, however.




  • I wanted a touch more sophistication for my headboards so I added these great monograms. This was as easy as cutting the letters out of white felt and adding them to the headboards with fabric adhesive. Easy Peasy!



    Two headboards for under $40 is what I call a deal!


    Have a great weekend~

    No comments:

    Post a Comment