Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Transformation Of The Auction Chairs


After winning this pair of slipper chairs at an auction I started to question my purchase. Had I just bought the ugliest chairs possible?



Keeping the faith, I drew up a design for their transformation. Then I got to work refinishing the frames, selecting a fabric, Fabricut's Renaissance velvet in Spearmint, and delivered them to Kepler's to be reupholstered.



One day I stopped by Kepler's to check on the progress. What is that burnt orange fabric doing on my chairs?! Luckily there were no other surprises.


Driving to pick them up at Kepler's yesterday, I almost felt sick to my stomach. What if I didn't like them? What if there were problems with the workmanship? So it was a relief when I saw them in the shop window, looking fresh and beautiful.





The first is sitting pretty in the Family Room, filling a spot that had been waiting for just the right chair. The shot of color is exactly what this room needed to complete it, bringing out bits of the same color seen here and there in the built-ins. The chair is admittedly feminine and a graphic pillow brings it down a step. This pillow is an old favorite find from Pottery Barn, not quite the right size, but will do until I find or make a lumbar sized pillow.


The second is in the Girl's Dream Bedroom, looking absolutely adorable. Each chair has taken on a slightly different feel, adapting to its surroundings. If history repeats itself...furniture tends to travel around in our home...at some point the pair will find themselves in the same room side by side.

No comments:

Post a Comment