Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pricing my front entry


The Nester is having a Price My Space party. So for fun, I chose about the cheapest room I've ever furnished in my entire life.

Why so cheap? Because last year I renovated my home and am working hard to pay that off. So there is NO budget for new furnishings. I was forced to get creative, and it's opened my world in a whole new direction! Since my building skills are minimal (more like nil), repurposing was the answer for me. But with a slight twist. I like surprises.



horsegate - free

truck bench - $15



wrought iron hooks - new, approx $5 @ (Rona in Canada)

wreath - $1

old storage box - $4

authentic Lady cow tag - free (from my parent's farm)


pillow - $3

storage tins - $5 each, Ikea

dresser - $5

lamp - $20, Homesense

old barnwood mirror - $85ish, handmade


planter - .50

candle lantern - $1

placemat - $5, Homesense

stainless tray - $1

cat - $9

cardboard star - $1

keys - oh... thousands! silly truck and house...


hanging on a door within the entry:

plate hanger - $10

ivy wreath - $5


artwork on the wall:

old barn windows - free

routered letter samples - free (I painted ready made samples at a workshop)


________________________

Total cost for the entry to furnish - $215.50

new purchases out of that - $67 (the rest I already had)

plus $300ish for the floor (I'm doing the install myself, that's why it isn't done.. YET!)

beefy gorgeous moldings to come - donated

All items are from thrift stores unless otherwise specified.

________________________


How I put it together:

I first had a vision of what I wanted the room to do. Then I waited and shopped. I gathered those items within the last 6 months, one at a time. Very patiently, I waited until I found close to what I had in mind and made it work!

I'll admit, the gate was a surprise. But I basically knew I needed hooks mounted on a board and this was the perfect ready built solution. As I found the items, they sat in the room unpainted until I had it all. Boy was I excited when I was finally ready to roll!

The space is unique and ultra productive. Finishes are distressed so the more nicks and bangs they get, the better they look. Plenty of room and easy access to shoes, the bench big enough for truck unloading, and the dresser stashes a ton of gloves, mitts, and whatnot.

To view the room being worked on:

http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/search/label/front%20entry

I'm off to visit the party for more great ideas! Thanks for the visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment