Saturday, March 7, 2009

Unique coffee table

It's Saturday! My all time favorite day of the week. Because I get a chance to work(play) on the house!

While I'm busy working(playing) on the newest hauls for this place, I thought I'd share with you what I've been using for a coffee table.



My sofa is somewhat over sized so my original oak coffee table in comparison looked like a piece of barbie doll furniture. I had this old kitchen table serving as an ultra sturdy desk top in a previous house but it had no real reason to exist in my current home. So... I hacked off the legs, painted the works up, distressed the top with dry brush black over top of the melamine paint, and made out like a bandit for one of the most sturdy rough and tough coffee tables on this planet. With a leaf if I desire even!

The table was the perfect scale with the sofa. For painting, I simply lightly sanded the woodsy natural finish it originally wore and went right over top with melamine paint using a high density rounded edged roller. After the paint fully cured (I lied, I can't wait that long, I did it the same day but it ought to cure), I took a dry brush and removing 99% of the paint, and ran over the surface with black to create the distressed look.The melamine provides a bullet proof surface which is virtually a liquid counter top of sorts. No wet cup rings. Scratches and nicks can easily be touched up if desired.

I landed a checkerboard printed on thicker wood which makes a great coaster even though I don't really need one. It's just kinda cool and gives me something else to smile at is all. Some of this is about ambiance after all.




And this is how I store movies and CD's under the table. (normally I have two boxes on the go but I stole one that is currently sitting on my fireplace mantle) Both table and antique box have felt liners under the feet and edges so they glide easily on the wood floor.




I should be working on my other finds. I really should. But I couldn't resist. One quick sit... ahhh. Oh... feet on the table. Busted. I do this alot. The table is just that big. And this place is just that casual.

But if you look really hard, I have paint on my socks. Proof that I indeed do work around here on occasion...

No comments:

Post a Comment