Thursday, March 12, 2009

Not Your Mama's Canopy Bed~

Before I get into the meat of this post, I wanted to put a question out there to you, my lovely readers. What kind of posts do you like to see from me? I aim to please...and I want to make sure I'm not boring you all silly!So be dearies, and leave me a comment telling me what you like to see me post...decorating ideas? tutorials? etc?...please.


Now on to the post. My real life friend Damaris asked me to do a post on canopy beds. I don't know about you all, but the term "canopy bed" brings to mind the ruffle-topped bed my older sister had in the 70's. But canopy beds are not old and stuffy anymore... they are chic and fun, and can really make a room.



Take a look at some of these great canopies I found around the web...and because we're all budget conscious now-a-days, I wanted to take a minute and discuss how we can achieve some of these looks for a minimal investment.

Photo from Serena & Lily

I have professed my love of Serena & Lily before. Take a look at this darling canopy I found in their latest catalog! This look can be easily achieved by using bedsheets! (This will actually save beaucoup on the fabric investment). Simply buy sets of coordinating sheets...I'm guessing you could get away with 4 sets - 2 of each color. This canopy is made by suspending a ring from the ceiling (think lampshade ring and fishing wire). The cute details around the ring could easily be made from the coordinating fitted sheets as could the tie backs which appear to also be suspended from the ceiling with fishing wire.

Photo from HGTV

This fun canopy is from the 2004 HGTV dream home. This canopy hangs from a corona (crown) attached to the wall above the bed and can easily be achieved in a similar method to the previous canopy. Coronas can be created with a variety of materials...and covered with coordinating fabric. Bedsheets would again offer an affordable alternative to yards of fabric.

Photo from HGTV

This garden trellis idea is quite charming! The trick would be to find a trellis the correct width. The look could be softened by adding fabric.


Photo from Coastal Living
This more traditional canopy makes quite a statement. It is suspended from the ceiling with wires and hooks, but could easily be attached to the ceiling by building a cornice frame and using suspension or other rods to hold the fabric (warning...this amount of fabric would be very heavy!) This type of canopy takes up a lot of visual space, but also makes the ceiling appear higher. It is a great way to ground an expansive room, but can also be used in a smaller room, providing the amount of other furniture pieces is limited.


Photo from HGTV


This simple canopy was created using stair balusters. It could be a great "shabby" project with the use of reclaimed architectural pieces.


Photo from HGTV


Finally, this great room from Candice Olson...you know I love her! This is a canopied daybed. The canopy is a fairly traditional shape, however, Candice...true to form...uses it in a non-traditional way. It sits against the wall with the fabric hanging down the back to create a sort of headboard effect. The fabric is kept light and fairly sheer so as not to add weight, while still adding softness.


So go ahead and add a little romance. If you create a canopy or have a great one to share, let me know! I'd love to see it!

Have a great weekend~

No comments:

Post a Comment