Sunday, March 1, 2009

The magic of mini lights

We all know the magic mini lights do to a mantle at Christmas time.





When it was time to remove the whimsical Christmas decor from the fireplace mantle top, I gasped. Granted, this is one big honkin' mantle and it needs something a tad more powerful than a candle stick and picture to fill up scale wise.


It didn't take long to dig around and find something that made me smile. I found a few old boxes I had accumulated (yes, dumping their contents on the floor in order to achieve this greatness..) and threw them up onto the mantle. But I didn't stop there.

I placed back the little mini lights for year 'round fun.






And if you EVER have the opportunity to get new electrical in your home, ensure you create a plug right beside your mantle. You won't be sorry. I've yet to create a solution to hide the cord, but I will.

Anyway, I don't have a spotlight over the fireplace and in newer construction, you see that frequently now. But that doesn't mean I can't reinvent the wheel here with my own twist!

Minlights cast that warm glow just right when you're viewing your evening tv shows. They illuminate much like under cabinet lighting. They can add that extra sparkle you may want/need to your mantel decor.

But don't stop there! Think of where else you can incorporate minilights. They don't get very hot, don't use much energy, and they can really trick up an otherwise dark corner. I dare you. Get brave and try it. And if you do, feel free to comment here, complete with your direct link to your picture so we can all see what you've achieved!

No comments:

Post a Comment