Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Crazy headboard anyone?



You have every right to question the above photo. What on earth is that?!? That my friends, is a part of my new headboard I created for the master bedroom.




Once upon a time, the bedroom was pretty bare bones. New floors and paint, check! But the real fun started when I was tired of no headboard and started snooping around in my own garage.

I had an old 4x8 sign I had salvaged from a neighbouring convenience store. They wanted to throw it out and I simply asked if I could have it. So I've been storing it, waiting for the perfect opportunity to put it to good use.

The sign was full of mold and pretty gungy so I scrubbed it down really well. The lettering on the sign was very aged, dulled to an orange which wasn't my personal thang. So I took some red paint and changed out the lettering, being careful not to go over the edges.




This was the result. But now the sign looked too new. (are we never happy?!?) So I whitewashed overtop the entire sign, calming down the peach background I wasn't thrilled about. I did some extra dabbing wherever lettering exsisted so I didn't fog out the images too much.

Then I went over the works with a wood stain to get a warm aging. The result was great!



I was happy with the sign, but now I needed to tweek things to really make them work. So next, the wall went red. And I made the bed. (no bedskirt yet but one miracle at a time here..)




And I spent a wholloping $10 on pillows and cases from a local thrift to perk things up some.



And I really desired a nightstand with drawers, but instead I used the stool I had beside the bed and jazzed it up some.


As you've noticed, only one wall went red. Four red walls would have totally overpowered the small room so this was all it really needed. The sign and bedding ties in the other wall colour perfectly.

Honestly? I'm sure glad I didn't get the headboard/footboard I had my eye on for a long time. My bedroom would have looked like anyone elses if I had cheated. With a little creativity, I now have something very unique that makes me smile everytime I walk in.

Funky headboards, there's simply no limit. Old gate, doors on their sides stacked high, art, paint, all it takes is a little imagination. Think of something flat and large enough for your particular bed and there you have a good beginning! Then keep playing with the room until it works.

Do you have an interesting headboard of sorts? Feel free to show your direct link in your comment if you do! Think about how you can jazz up yours in a fun way and just do it!
__________________

Life in Grace April 27 2009 edition is having a linky party about painted projects. Go check out her incredible painted kitchen among other cool ideas!

Juila at Hooked on Houses May 1 2009 edition wants to know what you're hooked on!
Kimm at Reinvented June 2 2009 edition is challenging us! Her words, "Today I'd like to challenge you to find something that you'd have never thought to use for home decor, or even something that you might have thrown away... and hang it on a wall." I think my headboard just may qualify..

No comments:

Post a Comment