Friday, March 20, 2009

Functional wall art for the kitchen

I love my distressed clock!




And I love the spot it sits in. However as you can see, it's just not looking very pretty right now.

Problem: cord showing

The clock was to stay, however that is where the phone wire is located in my kitchen. And it's brown. Two demerits! So I had to do something about it.





Solution: road find


I scooped up this thick cedar lattice work from the curb one day and tucked it away in my garage. I had asked permission to take it but I'll admit I felt like such a clutteromaniac pushing and shoving it into that overstuffed garage with all my might. I so need a big 'ol barn out back for my wonderful finds!



Anyway, I had this visual in my mind and this is the finished result. No wires and it's cute!

And it's functional to boot. It's a great little place for all the pen and pencil clutter that generally hangs around on the counter top. Not to mention, I can replace that box with so many other functional helps. A small bulletin board, small hooks, whatever you desire.

The cute little Sady sign is an actual sign salvaged from my Dad's dairy farm. I have another that reads Lady. They are so adorable in their original state.



If you look on the far upper left of this picture, you'll see what I have in mind for window treatments. The bamboo valance brings up some texture and warmth, while allowing light to still penetrate and not hide too much window, and the creamy heavy cotton curtains will keep the room light and casual, as well as bring in my desk area at the far end of the room. They'll be hung higher than shown with that one rusty nail. (another prop fest here)

And in case you were wondering, I can still work the hidden light switches. To make them abit easier to get to, it's just a matter of cutting out one little section of lattice. However in the name of art, I don't mind the slight extra effort at this point. :)


Edited to add: I desperately needed a good place for keys. I'll be on the lookout for a few eclectic hooks naturally, but in a pinch, nothing a few rusty screws can't take care of!

______________________

Melissa at The Inspired Room has a post ongoing about how to make your life just a little bit more beautiful. I'll be sharing my little clock corner with the group!

Living with Lindsay is hosting a post about creating something for under $5. I hope this qualifies even though it cost me $0.00!

Kimm at Reinvented is hosting a Tuesday Trash to Treasure party on March 31 2009. Go check out what you can make from, well, funky junk! :)

Wendy at The Shabby Nest is having a Frugal Friday Linky Party - April 24 2009 edition! Come on over and see what everyone else is up to!

Tim at Remodeling Guy is hosting a Spring Round Up Party - May 1 2009 edition. Come on over and see what others have created for spring as well as checking out Tim's new back porch redo! It's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment