Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Our holiday porch

039

I’ve always loved my tried and true Christmas decorating for our front porch and yard – it’s simple and elegant. (I told you how I do it back on this post.) But this year I was feeling like it needed a bit more fun…I think it’s because our son is getting older and becoming more and more obsessed with Christmas -- just like Momma. ;)

So I wanted to make it a little more whimsical and colorful this year. I started with the wreath I got on clearance last year at Target. It still needed a little somethin’ somethin’, so I just took a plain greenery wreath and smushed them together with wire, like so:

080

I love how it gives it a bit more dimension (see first photo). Lurve.

For the rest of the porch, I did my regular deal with greenery and lights, but this year I added some bling and color with $5 worth of ribbon and $15 of plastic ornaments. I just wrapped the ribbon around the greenery and then hung the ornaments from the centers of each with floral wire:062

Whew hew! Color! Just want I wanted.

I take the floral pots that hold my mums in the fall and keep the soil in there so I can just plop the little trees in. I added some of the plastic ornaments to the bases of the tree just for fun (and color!):

067

Not sure I’m loving the little bows on top of the trees, but c’mon, they are pretty cute.

I added some ornaments to the wreath over the garage door and the wreaths on the windows, instead of the sad little bows I’ve always had on them:

057084

PK at Room Remix posted about just twisting some ornaments together with floral wire and I don’t know why the heck I hadn’t thought of doing that! I love how they look on the wreaths!

Many of you have asked about the iron pieces hanging in our windows – they were actually gold “snowflakes” I got on clearance at Pier 1 years ago. I spray painted them black and hung them with fishing wire from the drapery rods:

083

I took down the blinds we never use on these windows and now you can really see them from outside! They don’t look Christmasy most of the year, but they do with a wreath in the window. ;)

I love how the front porch decor looks through the transom window from inside.

076

This may be how it looks with the door closed:

062 But this is how it looks when you open it:

079

Holy Christmas mess Batman!!

I’ll add some daylight pics of the porch tomorrow…the ribbon looks soooo gorg during the day too.

Did I mention I was hoping to have ALL of the Christmas decor up before Monday of next week, so I can sit back and enjoy it all month? I hear you laughing at me. I can do it, I can. Only 13 more bins of stuff to go. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment