Friday, November 20, 2009

No Griswold Christmas Here


My kids have been pinning for a spectacularly lit up home for the holidays the past few years. My husband and I give it our best effort, but to less than stellar reviews.

This year I decided to make the dream come true and called for reinforcements, which came with a high recommendation. Now, when I hand out a recommendation it is because you can expect not only great work but a reasonable price. Those are just the people I work with and I guess I've come to expect that equation.


So yesterday the lighing guys arrive asking, "Do you want the Griswold Treatment?" No, I replied, a bit taken aback. Just the front of the house. Around the roofline, trace the architectural features and outline the windows. Something pretty, festive, lit up but tasteful.

We work up the plan and details: how many lights and extension cords do I need to buy and will I need a timer? NO! Then he gives me the number. What?! You have got to be kidding me. $400 to install. But wait, this is what got me, $200 to take down. Really? I started brainstorming on the spot, if I can negotiate the install price I can certainly figure out how to pull those beauties down myself!

What is your opinion? Is this quote reasonable, somewhat high, outrageously high? I know many of you, who successfully put up your lights each year, are probably wondering what is wrong with us. Why can't we do it ourselves? We each have our talents and this is not one of ours.

The decision? A pass. When I told the kids the price they were with me, completely. As an alternative we will string lights around the front windows and door, hang a wreath and perhaps drape the foliage with lights. It will be beautiful and we'll save our money for something more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment